inHerit Logo

Success Hill Lodge


Town of Bassendean

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


1 River St Bassendean

Location Details

Also known as the Salvation Army Aged Men's Retreat. Bounded by Eighth Ave, Anzac Tce and River St - also known as 5 Eighth Ave and 20 Anzac Tce

Other Name(s)

Lockridge Private Hosp; Lockridge Hotel
Miss Baileys Girls High School; Riverside Lod

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1896, Constructed from 1980, Constructed from 1970

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 22 May 2018
State Register Registered 29 May 2001 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Completed\Draft 22 Aug 2017 1


Exceptional Significance. Essential to the heritage of the locality. Rare or outstanding example. Recommended for inclusion on the State Register of Heritage Places

Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Nov 2005 1


Exceptional Significance. Essential to the heritage of the locality. Rare or outstanding example. Recommended for inclusion on the State Register of Heritage Places

Statement of Significance

The following statement is drawn from the entry prepared for its inclusion in the State Register of Heritage Places in 2001. Success Hill Lodge, comprising a double-storey brick and iron building constructed in 1896 (c.1970s, 1980s) in the Federation Queen Anne style, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:
• the place is a fine, largely intact example of the Federation Queen Anne style and is the focus of a precinct of predominantly single storey residential and commercial premises;
• the place contributes to the local community's sense of place by its
• landmark quality in a residential area, and for its early history as a hotel with a colourful reputation;
• the place was constructed in 1896 as the Lockeridge Hotel in a suburb that was developing as a result of the rapid population growth caused by the gold boom. The site was chosen in an effort to take advantage of the holiday traffic on the Swan River and the Fremantle-Guildford railway line;
• the place has been associated with various branches of health care for much of its existence, having been a hospital in 1903, 1912-1914 and 1965-1973, aged men's home 1918-1947, and a psychiatric hostel since the early 1980s;
• the place was associated with the Salvation Army as part of their social welfare program,
specifically the care of aged men and, to a lesser extent women, from 1918 to 1947;
• the place is valued by the local and wider community for its ongoing associations with health care, and its earlier associations with aged care and education; and,
• the original hotel building was designed by Clarence Wilkinson and E H Dean-Smith, who were in an architectural partnership from 1895 to 1900 and designed a number of residential and commercial premises in Perth and Fremantle during this time.

Physical Description

Success Hill Lodge is located on River Street with the main street fronts facing Anzac Terrace to the south and River Street to the east, with rear access and side view on Eighth Avenue to the west. The place comprises the original two storey building with attached single storey kitchen and verandah (1896), two periods of single storey extensions (c.1970s, 1980s). The rendered, two storey building is located on prominent corner site. The render is a later addition to the original face brick construction. The building was designed to take account of its corner position with a wing to each street elevation and angled central corner section incorporating the verandah and balcony. The complex roof system consisting of hipped and gabled elements is clad in short sheet CGI with a small timbered gablet above the chamfered corner elevation. The balcony canopy is part of the main roof, supported on timber columns to both levels. Timber framed sash windows. A well planted garden is
enclosed by timber picket fence. The single storey painted brick additions constructed in the 1970s and 1980s adjoins the western elevation of the original building. The addition have contrasting roof forms, the 1970s addition is low pitched at about 5 degrees and clad with metal deck sheeting. The 1980s addition behind is a hipped roof pitched at approximately 45 degrees also clad in long sheets of Colorbond metal deck sheeting.


Success Hill Lodge was built for Herbert Ernest Parry as the Lockeridge Hotel, to a design by architects Clarence Wilkinson and E. H. Dean-Smith in 1896. The first landlord of the hotel was Charles Pressentin. The hotel was intended to gain the patronage of picnic boating parties but it was not a successful venture and several licensees took on the property in its
first years. It ceased to operate as a hotel in 1902 and since that time has been, a hospital on three separate occasions, a girl's boarding school, Salvation Army men's home, a residence, and a psychiatric hostel. Success Hill Lodge was extended on the western elevation on at least two occasions, c.1970s and 1980s, to provide accommodation for residents and staff when the place operated as a psychiatric hospital. During the later works the original face brick work of the main building was rendered. The site originally included two timber cottages on the northern side of the original hotel however the original landholding was subdivided and these two cottages were demolished c2004. The place is currently [2015] used as a family home.






Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
State Heritage Office Assessment Documentation place 9201

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
No.204 MI Place No.
A1314 TOB Assessment No

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
6431 Outbuilding at Success Hill Lodge, 1 River Street, Bassendean : archival record C D Rom 2003
11777 Success Hill Lodge 1 River Street, Bassendean Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2019
6520 Archival record : outbuilding at Success Hill Lodge, 1 River Street, Bassendean. Archival Record 2003

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Other Use HEALTH Housing or Quarters
Other Use EDUCATIONAL Secondary School
Other Use HEALTH Asylum
Other Use HEALTH Hospital
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Institutional Housing
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other TIMBER Tongue & Groove
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities

Creation Date

09 Mar 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

13 Dec 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.