Local Government
West Arthur
Region
Wheatbelt
Darlingup Moodiarrup
West Arthur
Wheatbelt
Constructed from 1892
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 27 Mar 1997 | Category 3 |
Category 3 |
One of the original buildings in the district, its construction type being unique and its age make it a notable contribution to the buildings in the district.
Situated west of Moodiarrup located near the Darlingup Creek and Spring- the latter being a regular camping site for sandalwood gatherers and carters, and hunters.
One end of the cottage has the original split timber walls with the remainder mud brick. The original shingle roof being replaced by galvanised iron. A feature is the large stone and pug chimney constructed using white clay excavated from near the building. A large olive tree shelters the building and a few remnant fruit trees remain. Nearby is a blacksmith shop made of split timber, a stone for the anvil and bellows intact.
The property was selected by Henry (Harry) Miller (Millar) around 1895. Harry was a half brother to Charlie and John Marsh early settlers at “Capercup”. As a very small child Harry came to the colony with his mother Elizabeth and her new husband William Marsh in 1854. On arrival the family settled at ‘Olive Hill’, Brunswick near their relatives, the Fisher family.
Miller spent his early years shepherding, and although he had married in his twenties, was alone for all his years at ‘Darlingup’. In later years Henry Miller and Johnny Marsh would often get around together and when seen driving past in the sulky with their flowing white beards, people would say “here come the two Father Christmases!”
Miller died in December 1935 at the age of 84 and was buried in the Darkan cemetery. The cottage was used as family home during the years 1945-1950. In recent years the property was purchased by the Jefferies family from a Perth based electrical contracting firm Everett Smith and Co.
Modifications: Iron replaced shingles on roof
Extent of original fabric: Most
Very Poor
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
Photos; "West of Arthur". p 119 | Shire of West Arthur | 1990 | |
J Bird; "West of Arthur". p 120 | Shire of West Arthur | 1990 |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Present Use | VACANT\UNUSED | Vacant\Unused |
Original Use | FARMING\PASTORAL | Homestead |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Wall | TIMBER | Other Timber |
Wall | STONE | Other Stone |
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
Wall | EARTH | Adobe {Mud Brick} |
General | Specific |
---|---|
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY | Settlements |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.