inHerit Logo

Darkan School

Author

Shire of West Arthur

Place Number

08789
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Burrowes St Darkan

Location Details

Local Government

West Arthur

Region

Wheatbelt

Construction Date

Constructed from 1908

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Mar 1997 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance to Shire of West Arthur that is worthy of recognition and protection through provisions of the Shire of West Arthur’s Town Planning Scheme. Planning application needs to be submitted to Shire of West Arthur for any proposed development. Recommend: Retain and conserve the place.

Statement of Significance

The building is closely associated with the provision of educational facilities. It is the first school in the West Arthur district.

The building is a good example of the building style of the period. It is an important part of the town’s original building stock and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.

Physical Description

The school is located on the western outskirts of Darkan fronting the Duranillin road. The location was possibly chosen to also serve children to the farming districts to the west, south and north of the town.

The first building was later incorporated into two additions- the first joined to it on the north side and the major extensions to the east. The old building was then used as the office and administration centre. It is a timber framed, hip roof building with a wooden dado and fibre cladding. The dado and cladding probably occurred with the additions to give a uniform appearance.

History

The increasing population accompanying the railway to Darkan saw the approval of a school building for the township. In early 1908 it was announced that H. Marsh of Narrogin was the successful tenderer at the cost of 475 pounds (21). The Boolading residents considered the school should have been built at their centre and renewed their representation with enthusiasm. Finally, after two years of agitation, the Education Department granted 20 pounds for the materials on the condition that the Boolading settlers erect the building.

Until 1929, the school was run by just one teacher. In that year a ‘probationer’ was appointed as an assistant. The growth of the town’s population and the advent of the school buses after WW II saw a rapid expansion in student and teacher numbers. In 1962 the school was given ‘Junior High’ status and in 1974 reclassified as ‘District High School’ (1).

Integrity/Authenticity

Modifications: Some (attachment to later additional buildings)
Extent of original fabric: Most

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
J Bird; "West of Arthur". pp 204, 286, 380

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other TIMBER Other Timber
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science

Creation Date

11 Jul 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.