Local Government
West Arthur
Region
Wheatbelt
Burrowes St Darkan
West Arthur
Wheatbelt
Constructed from 1908
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 27 Mar 1997 | Category 2 |
The building is closely associated with the provision of educational facilities. It is the first school in the West Arthur district. The building is a good example of the building style of the period. It is an important part of the town’s original building stock and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.
The school is located on the western outskirts of Darkan fronting the Duranillin road. The location was possibly chosen to also serve children to the farming districts to the west, south and north of the town. The first building was later incorporated into two additions- the first joined to it on the north side and the major extensions to the east. The old building was then used as the office and administration centre. It is a timber framed, hip roof building with a wooden dado and fibre cladding. The dado and cladding probably occurred with the additions to give a uniform appearance.
The increasing population accompanying the railway to Darkan saw the approval of a school building for the township. In early 1908 it was announced that H. Marsh of Narrogin was the successful tenderer at the cost of 475 pounds (21). The Boolading residents considered the school should have been built at their centre and renewed their representation with enthusiasm. Finally, after two years of agitation, the Education Department granted 20 pounds for the materials on the condition that the Boolading settlers erect the building. Until 1929, the school was run by just one teacher. In that year a ‘probationer’ was appointed as an assistant. The growth of the town’s population and the advent of the school buses after WW II saw a rapid expansion in student and teacher numbers. In 1962 the school was given ‘Junior High’ status and in 1974 reclassified as ‘District High School’ (1).
Modifications: Some (attachment to later additional buildings) Extent of original fabric: Most
Good
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
J Bird; "West of Arthur". pp 204, 286, 380 |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | EDUCATIONAL | Combined School |
Present Use | EDUCATIONAL | Combined School |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Other | TIMBER | Other Timber |
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
General | Specific |
---|---|
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES | Education & science |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.