Local Government
Woodanilling
Region
Great Southern
Albany Hwy Beaufort River
Woodanilling
Great Southern
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
RHP - Does not warrant assessment | Current | 30 Jul 2021 |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 18 Mar 2003 | Category 4 |
Category 4 |
The site is significant for its association with the development of transport and
communication.
The access for the Albany Highway across the Beaufort River contains two bridges - the
main channel and a secondary channel in an area known as the Beaufort Flats below the
Martup Hills. The current main bridge was constructed east of the old bridge crossing
established by convicts when the road was first developed.
The first marked line between the two major centres of the Swan River Colony (Perth and
Albany) was delineated in 1837 by Alfred Hillman. This went some kilometres to the
west of the present route as it linked the Williamsburg townsite (Boranning) to Kojonup -
both tiny out posts in the interior. With the advent of steam ships in the early 1850's and
the emergence of King George's Sound as the Western colony's main port it became
imperative that an accessible overland route linked Albany with the Swan River Colony.
After consideration of three options - Perth - York - Albany; Kelmscott/Albany,
Fremantle/Bunbury/Kojonup/Albany it was decided to take the shortest option through
Kelmscott plotted by A Gregory of the Survey's Department. Lt Grossman (of the Royal
Sappers) was entrusted to report on each option (1853) and later was in charge of
construction of the road.
Feed at the Arthur and Beaufort Rivers was described by Grossman as indifferent, with
very large pools of water at the Arthur River. Much larger bridges and causeways would
be required at the Arthur and Beaufort Rivers. Water rises of 15ft (4.6m) and 12ft (3.7m)
respectively, could be expected when compared with the 8ft (2.4m) of the Hotham and
Williams Rivers.
The Colony lost a fine engineer and man when Grossman left in 1856 leaving behind the
King George's Sound Road as a memorial whose route, design and building was his
responsibility. Despite the soundness of the bridge the approaches were often flooded.
In August 1879 the Royal Mail was stuck up for 4 hours at the Beaufort. Some of the
horses scheduled to take the coach to the Williams had to be taken to the Beaufort River
to pull the van out of the bog. The mail van again became hopelessly bogged between
Tarwonga and Williams and everything had to be unloaded to enable to van to be levered
out.
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
Photos/Maps 12/25, 14/21-14/24 | |||
John Bird, "Round Pool to Woodanilling", pp 3, 72 | 1985 | ||
"West of the Arthur" pp 22-25 |