Beaufort Bridge

Author

Shire of Woodanilling

Place Number

17167

Location

Albany Hwy Beaufort River

Location Details

Local Government

Woodanilling

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 30 Jul 2021

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Mar 2003 Category 4

Statement of Significance

The site is significant for its association with the development of transport and communication.

Physical Description

The access for the Albany Highway across the Beaufort River contains two bridges - the main channel and a secondary channel in an area known as the Beaufort Flats below the Martup Hills. The current main bridge was constructed east of the old bridge crossing established by convicts when the road was first developed.

History

The first marked line between the two major centres of the Swan River Colony (Perth and Albany) was delineated in 1837 by Alfred Hillman. This went some kilometres to the west of the present route as it linked the Williamsburg townsite (Boranning) to Kojonup - both tiny out posts in the interior. With the advent of steam ships in the early 1850's and the emergence of King George's Sound as the Western colony's main port it became imperative that an accessible overland route linked Albany with the Swan River Colony. After consideration of three options - Perth - York - Albany; Kelmscott/Albany, Fremantle/Bunbury/Kojonup/Albany it was decided to take the shortest option through Kelmscott plotted by A Gregory of the Survey's Department. Lt Grossman (of the Royal Sappers) was entrusted to report on each option (1853) and later was in charge of construction of the road. Feed at the Arthur and Beaufort Rivers was described by Grossman as indifferent, with very large pools of water at the Arthur River. Much larger bridges and causeways would be required at the Arthur and Beaufort Rivers. Water rises of 15ft (4.6m) and 12ft (3.7m) respectively, could be expected when compared with the 8ft (2.4m) of the Hotham and Williams Rivers. The Colony lost a fine engineer and man when Grossman left in 1856 leaving behind the King George's Sound Road as a memorial whose route, design and building was his responsibility. Despite the soundness of the bridge the approaches were often flooded. In August 1879 the Royal Mail was stuck up for 4 hours at the Beaufort. Some of the horses scheduled to take the coach to the Williams had to be taken to the Beaufort River to pull the van out of the bog. The mail van again became hopelessly bogged between Tarwonga and Williams and everything had to be unloaded to enable to van to be levered out.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Photos/Maps 12/25, 14/21-14/24
John Bird, "Round Pool to Woodanilling", pp 3, 72 1985
"West of the Arthur" pp 22-25

Place Type

Historic site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Road: Bridge

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Road transport

Creation Date

01 Nov 2004

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.