Deeside Homestead Group


Shire of Manjimup

Place Number



3403 Muir Hwy Perup

Location Details

Includes: Outbuildings, Barn, Dairy & Creamery, Belling Up Shed

Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1865

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List Adopted 08 Dec 2016

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 28 May 2004

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Classified by the National Trust Classified 07 Sep 1987
Register of the National Estate Permanent 09 Aug 1988
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place
Municipal Inventory Adopted 10 Jul 1997 Category A

Statement of Significance

Representativeness, Rarity, Aesthetic and Historic

Physical Description

· Demographic Settlement and Mobility; · Occupations, and; · People.


The Deeside property has belonged to the Muir family since the 1850s. The first Muirs, Andrew and Elizabeth, came to WA in 1844 and settled at Forest Hill, near Mount Barker. Too of their five sons, Andrew and James went on to establish Lake Muir and Fernhill respectively. (Refer Fernhill Homestead, Central Ward and Lake Muir Homestead, East Ward). Thomas and John came to Deeside in 1852 and built a rush hut in 1856. They were the first Europeans in the district. John later established Eucla. Thomas married Charlotte in 1858 and they lived in a three-room slab hut nearby until they moved into the present farmhouse. This was constructed in 1866 from handmade bricks and pit sawn jarrah timber by ticket-of-leave men. The present owner is Andrew Muir, grandson of Thomas Muir. He lives in a newer residence on the property. The early house is occupied by the great granddaughter of Thomas Muir. As the family interests spread through the South-West in the 1850s and 1860s , the Muirs built a network of roads and bridges to move their cattle and to send produce to a shop they established in Albany which was managed by their son, Robert. . In the winter months the Muirs grazed their cattle on their properties, while in summer they drove the cattle down to their coastal leases for grazing. Deeside was known at one time as the largest privately owned dairy farm in WA. The property had a milking shed for 200 cows. A cattle ramp designed in the 1930s made the job of loading cattle trucks much easier. The Muirs are said to have brought the first Angus and Hereford Cattle into Western Australia. The sheds were built in the 1860s and are still in good condition. The walls were hammered into place with square, hand made nails. Along one side the walls are pitted with marks left from pinning up thousands of rabbit and kangaroo skins over the years. The skins were sold or were sewn together to provide sleeping bags for the men droving the cattle. In an interview with the owner Andrew Muir (Sept 2004) he talked about catching 2000 rabbits in one week. The introduction of myxomatosis in C1957 killed off the rabbits. It is said that the Muirs established very good relations with the Aborigines in the area. Rations were issued to the Aborigines at Deeside, and Aboriginal stockmen were employed on the farm, with the women helping in the house. The 1866 house at Deeside is single storeyed colonial house, built on sloping ground in a rural setting. The house has a central core comprising two rooms under a steeply pitched hipped corrugated iron roof. The central core is surrounded by smaller rooms and front veranda under a sloping lean-to roof extending down from the roof over the central core. There is a three roomed cellar under the house. The brick walls are rendered and painted white. The floors are of pit sawn timber. Features inside the house include pit sawn timber throughout; 4 panel doors and glass; windows with 12 panes of glass; ceilings now lined with tongue and groove wood; plastered walls covered with wallpaper. At the other end of the house, a modern garage/carport and ablution building has been constructed. Associated with the house are a number of outbuildings and stockyards built in timber slab and corrugated iron, still in original condition. They include the Belling Up Shed, Stables, Barn and Dairy. A number of other features on the property also illustrate the way of life of a pioneer family; the bridge across the Perup River; the sawpits near to the front entrance; the remains of an orchard, an extensive line of walnut trees, and the graves of two people, including a baby.


Integrity: Good Authenticity: Good




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage and Conservation Professionals: "Shire of Manjimup Municipal Heritage Inventory". Shire of Manjimup 1995 Adopted 1997
National Trust Assessment Form National Trust of Australia WA 1987
Muir A & J: "Muir Family: Pioneer of the South West and Eucla WA.". 1979

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Architectural Styles


Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Other Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

29 Apr 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.