Seamen's Rest


City of Fremantle

Place Number



28 Marine Tce Fremantle

Location Details


Other Name(s)

Sailors' Rest

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1899

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 2

Statement of Significance

The place has social and historic significance as a building erected to provide a rest home for sailors and for associations with the Women's Christian Temperance Union. The place has aesthetic significance as an unusual example of a building in the Federation Arts and Crafts style that has probably been extensively altered.

Physical Description

Two storey rendered building with a zincalume hipped roof behind the highly bracketed parapet and pediment. A recessed central bay containing the main entrance of the building rises above the parapet.There are two arched windows in the west side of the façade with multi paned fanlights and sided by pairs of small engaged columns, windows in the east side are probably not original. Visual inspection suggests that the building has been extensively altered.


The Sailors' Rest home came about because of the efforts of Mrs T. Smith, a member of the Fremantle branch of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). Land was demanded from the government, and the building was constructed with funds raised by public subscription. The foundation stone was laid by Sir John Forrest on 9 October 1899. W. A. Nelson, Architect, T. Game, Builder. Later owned by British Sailors' Society Fremantle Branch. Brick additions 1942 by Allen & Nicholas Architects. The façade and windows were changed in 1958, and brick additions built along Croke Lane by Cameron Chisholm & Nicol. Currently (2002), Port Lodge, Notre Dame University.




Name Type Year From Year To
W A Nelson Architect - -
Allen & Nicholas, 1942 additions Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Multistorey residence
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Institutional Housing

Architectural Styles

Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

03 Oct 1988

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

28 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.