Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Place Number



South Western Hwy Bridgetown

Location Details

Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1889

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Jun 2001 Category 2
Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Mar 2018 Management Category C

Statement of Significance

Geegelup homestead is of significance for its historic value as the home of Henry Doust, as well as for its aesthetic and social values. Aesthetic Value Geegelup is a well preserved Victorian Georgian home set in a rural landscape with exotic plantings, creating a strong landmark on the highway at the northern entrance to Bridgetown. Historic Value The home is of historic value as the home of Henry Doust and family. Research Value NA Social Value Geegelup is of social value as the home of the Doust family, including extended family; as a working farm; and at times for its use as a place of birthing/maternity.

Physical Description

Geegelup is a Victorian Georgian farmhouse constructed of hand-made brick with a Zincalume roof. The house has twelve pane double hung sash windows; two chimneys; dropped-roof return verandahs and a small verandah gable over the front door with a scalloped barge board. Originally Flemish bond face brick, the house was later plastered and is now painted cream with white trims. The house was gradually expanded with verandah enclosures and extensions to the rear including a bedroom for the boys with a breezeway joining it to the house, a large separate kitchen with a baker’s oven and later a room for Henry Doust’s father. Of the original ceilings which were horse hair plaster, one remains. Although the house is mostly carpeted now, the ¾ wide floor boards remain. The majority of the roof was replaced with Zincalume c.2008 and the original tin roof of the breezeway was replaced in 2017. The magnolia tree at the front of the house is possibly the oldest remaining tree, at around 100 yrs. old, with the majority of the garden being recreated by the current owner in recent years.


Henry James Doust (c.1842-1912) moved to Bridgetown after marrying his wife Elizabeth Chapman (c.1850-1939) in 1872. He was a keen businessman, first taking management of John Allnutt’s ‘Kelah’ shop and residence in Hampton street and two years later buying land, demolishing existing building(s) and building his ‘Farmer’s Home Hotel’ – which was also used as a store and was later developed as Scott’s Tavern). By 1889 Doust had decided to buy land just over a kilometre north of the townsite entrance (near his brother Alfred). With the assistance of Joseph Smith, Doust built his large new home in 1890 and relocated the family of nine children to a more wholesome family environment.As the farm prospered (and Doust continued to run other property and business), additions and enclosures were completed to the rear of the home. A report of a large kitchen with baker’s oven being added to the rear of the home, suggests that bread may have been baked here for selling in their store. Henry Doust was very committed to the Bridgetown community, serving as President of the Nelson Road Board from 1898-1904 and again from 1908-1911, and being an active member of the Agricultural Society, Health Board, Rifle Club and Freemasons. His commitment to the Freemasons included donating the subdivided parcel of land which was part of the Store/Hotel lot, so that the Freemasons could build a permanent home, where it still stands. Henry’s wife Elizabeth was also rather active in the community, not only delivering numerous babies in her own home, but also as an active Member of the Agricultural Society and St Paul’s Ladies Guild (Anglican Church). At the time of Henry’s death in 1912, he owned the family home ‘Geegelup’, a 685 Acre Farm in Winnejup; the Farmer’s Home Hotel and associated building; and all buildings on Lot 11 Hampton Street (cnr Stewart Street), including a brick general store, eight room dwelling, two kitchens, stable and cordial factory. In all he had been a very successful family man, businessman and highly respected member of the community. Following Henry’s death in 1912, the Road Board Committee made a verbal presentation to the Doust family, in honour of their late father and husband, espousing their ‘great admiration and appreciation’ of his ‘invaluable services…. faithfulness to duty and untiring energy’. And that they would mourn the loss of their ‘ever-wise and trusted Councillor and friend’. In August 1915, Geegelup was offered for sale as part of Doust’s estate: “GEEGELUP ESTATE: Situate about 1½ miles North of Bridgetown Railway Station, containing 330 acres Freehold land and 400 acres C.P. land …. Well improved, sheep proof fenced, and subdivided into 5 paddocks. 144 acres cleared for cultivation, 16 acres partially cleared, 95 acres ringbarked, 10 acres Orchard In full bearing. Abundance of water. 7-Roomed Brick Dwelling, Kitchen, and 2 Bedrooms semi-detached, 4-Roomed W.B.- House, 3 stall Stable and Feed Room, 2-stall Stable. and Feed' Room, 4-stall Stable and Loose Box, Fruit Packing Room, Hay Shed, Buggy-Shed, Stockyard, etc.” The readily available evidence suggests that it was then occupied by members of the Palmer family.


Medium The property is now a parcel of 11 acres, hence classed as a hobby farm, and retains none of its original farming outbuildings. Moderate Although the home had numerous additions to the rear in its early years, it has had very little change to its lay-out since and largely retains its original character. The rendering of the façade has, to some degree, changed its original architectural character.




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Fran Taylor People of the Warren Blackwood District
The Blackwood Times pg.3 19/04/1912
The Blackwood Times pg.2 31/08/1915
Bridgetown The Early Years

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
No.R25 MI Place No.
A30394 Assess No (Shire Ref)

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Handmade Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

11 Sep 1992

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

24 Jul 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.