Masonic Lodge


City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder

Place Number



26 Egan St Kalgoorlie

Location Details

Cnr Porter St

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1899

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Registered 24 Mar 1998 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Restrictive Covenant YES
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Oct 1980
Classified by the National Trust Classified 06 Jun 1978
Municipal Inventory Adopted 09 Jul 2001 Category 1

Statement of Significance

Masonic Lodge, a single storey Federation Academic Classical style of building of pink-coloured sandstone, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons: - the place makes a valuable contribution to the streetscape with its moulded exterior created by its central porch and classical mouldings, and its pink coloured ashlar walls; and, - the place is closely associated with the presence and activities of Masons amongst the rapidly expanding population of the eastern goldfields at the turn-of-the-century. A timber framed and ripple-iron clad, single-storey caretaker's residence situated adjacent to the lodge, and in poor condition, is considered to have low heritage significance.

Physical Description

Masonic Lodge is at the corner of Egan and Porter Streets and built in the Federation Academic Classical style (Apperly et al, 1989: 100-103). This style was used to express community wealth and prominence and is common throughout the goldfields which grew and prospered following the discovery of gold in the early 1890s. The building, rectangular in plan and sited perpendicular to Egan Street, is built on a rock-faced plinth and has a projecting facade bay. The form of the building is given as much importance as the facade and details. The building is constructed of pink-coloured ashlar stone capped with a painted stucco entablature and parapet which both extend across the facade. The parapet conceals a hipped roof covered with corrugated galvanised iron with vented gablets. The roof featured a lantern which is no longer extant (photographic evidence shows the turret existing in 1982). The building is symmetrical about a well proportioned recessed porch. This central porch dominates the facade in detail. The facade is articulated into three bays by pilasters that extend to the top of the parapet. The porch is elevated and flanked by Composite columns supported by stone pedestals. The porch is framed by pilasters that are decorated by rendered scrolls. The porch is highlighted by a decorative triangular pediment that crowns the parapet. The pediment contains a painted emblem of the masons. The emblem is set against a blue background that projects slightly forward of the pediment wall. Balls on pedestals decorate the parapet and the apex of the pediment. The height of the walls of the building are broken by string courses and two continuous, horizontal bands of stone at window sill and window head height. Window openings are heavily recessed, semi-circular arches with moulded stone reveals and surrounds. The interior of the porch is in matching pointed ashlar. Rendered bands continue from the exterior walls across the walls of the porch. The porch floor features tessellated tiles laid with a central pattern. The doorway has a timber panelled door and a high semi-circular fanlight with patterned glass. The entrance is protected by a pair of steel palisade gates. The interior of the building comprises a small hall with a metal ceiling. Much of the original detailing, fixtures, fittings and finishes remain intact, and are layered with the accumulation of Masonic paraphernalia over the last 90 years. A brick addition extends the building westwards (date of the addition is unknown). The addition is red fair-faced brickwork laid in Colonial bond. The addition is set well back from the original facade. The walls of the addition are strengthened with engaged piers. The addition conceals the openings on the west elevation of the original building. Window openings, in matching but simplified style to the original, are in between the piers. The roof of the addition is hipped with timber battened eaves, vented gablets (now boarded over), and metal roof vents. The roof covering matches the original building. A small office block further extends the west elevation. The addition covers the end bay of the elevation. The addition is in masonry blockwork, and has a lean-to roof and a sliding aluminium window. This addition does not match the style of the original building, nor the western brick addition. The brick additions have destroyed the symmetry and the massing of the building, thereby reducing its value as a fine representative example of its class. The window panes on the east elevation have been covered, the original doors on the east elevation have been replaced with metal doors, openings on the east elevation are protected by metal meshwork, and fanlights on the facade have been painted over. In 1996, the exterior of the building was inspected and the condition was considered fair to poor condition. The existing roof sheeting needs replacing, gablet vents are missing, stone and mortar have fretted at the base of the walls due to rising damp (bricks have replaced severely fretted areas), severely fretted stonework is evident on the rear wall, the joinery requires repair and repainting, and the stonework has been badly indented on the rear elevation. The caretaker's dwelling near the junction of Egan and Porter Streets, typical of modest goldfields bungalows, represents part of the housing development of the site, but is of little architectural merit in its own right.


Masonic Lodge is a medium-sized, single-storey rough-finished stone and iron building, constructed in 1899-1900, to provide meeting facilities for the growing number of Freemasons in the Kalgoorlie area. On 27 February 1900, the Grand Lodge of Western Australia was "regularly formed, assembled and properly dedicated to the work of the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masonry ..." (Grand Lodge of Western Australia of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, 1950: 5). The formation of a Grand Lodge, local and supreme, marked the attainment of autonomous government in matters Masonic. The first Lodge in Western Australia was established in 1843. Growth was slow, until the 1880s when progress started to became more rapid. The increase in the number of lodges reflects the more prosperous conditions prevailing in the colony. The first impact of the gold discoveries boom also hastened the movement to establish lodges in the older settled areas. By October 1899, there were 35 lodges in existence, owing allegiance to the Grand Lodge of England. Both the Kalgoorlie and Boulder Lodges were formed in 1897 (Grand Lodge of Western Australia of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, 1950: 7). In May 1899, the Western Argus reported on the soon-to-be constructed Masonic Lodge: "Building operations are to be started forthwith in connection with the Kalgoorlie Masonic Hall, to be erected for the local masonic institutions in Egan Street close to Porter Street. The building will face Egan Street and will cover in all an area of about 70ft x 52ft. A set of ante-rooms, not exceeding the whole width of the hall, will project in front. The front portion will be ornamented with Corinthian pillars, flanking the central main entrance and will be in size 35ft x 16ft. Immediately on entering the passage the visitor will find an ante-room on both the left and right sides and beyond that, a wider vestibule. Further on to the right will be a lavatory and to the left another ante-room. Next will be a large lodge room 50ft x 32ft, and the roof of which is to be 16ft high. Beyond the lodge room will be the banquet room, 40ft x 16.5ft in size with a small storeroom attached. Stone pointed is to be used throughout the building, and the elevation is to be tastefully dressed in cement. A stamped zinc ceiling will be given to the lodge room. Jarrah will be used throughout for flooring. The walls will be furnished in plaster, with cement dado. Electric light is to be supplied to all apartments. Ventilation and light have been well provided for in the plans. In all respects the building should well meet the purposes it is intended to serve" (Western Argus, 25 May 1899: 21). The architect for Masonic Lodge was Harvey G. Draper and the successful tenderers were Messrs Hartsborn and Kell. The laying of the foundation stone was recorded in the monthly magazine of the Freemasons: "The annals of Freemasonry in this country have been greatly enriched by having added unto them a record of the brilliant ceremony that was performed ...on July 5 at Kalgoorlie. The occasion was the laying of the foundation stone at the Masonic Temple that the members of the Craft in Kalgoorlie are raising to the glory of the Great Architect and the purposes of Freemasonry. The event marks with emphasis the advance the colony of Western Australia is making, and in particular the well-being of our Order in the comparatively remote corners of the earth. The Temple, which is to be a handsome edifice of stone, is situated in Egan Street. For the present, the first storey will be completed. ... The rooms will be of lofty proportions and well ventilated. All the Lodges in the immediate neighbourhood have joined hands in financing the undertaking" (WA Freemasons' Magazine, 1 August 1899: 3). A timber framed and ripple-iron clad, single storey residence, was built adjacent to the lodge, to house a resident caretaker. The building is typical of the many temporary, lightweight, residences constructed in the goldfields. In 1998, Masonic Lodge continues to be used for its original purpose, although membership is in a state of decline. Significance: Assessment of Significance: Masonic Lodge exhibits a moulded exterior created by its central porch and classical mouldings. Together with its pink-coloured ashlar walls, the building makes a valuable contribution to the streetscape. (Criterion 1.1) [The brick additions have destroyed the symmetry and the massing of the building thereby reducing its value as a fine representative example of its class.] The construction of Masonic Lodge is closely associated with the presence and activities of Masons amongst the rapidly expanding population of the eastern goldfields at the turn-of-the-century. (Criterion 2.2) From the day of its opening, the place has been held in high regard by the local Masonic fraternity. Masonic Lodge is representative of the Federation Academic Classical style built for modest sized public architecture. (Criterion 6.1)


Integrity: High Authenticity: High


Fair - Poor


Name Type Year From Year To
Harvey G. Draper Architect 1899 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Newspaper Article". p.21 Western Argus 25 May 1899
"Grand Lodge of Western Australia of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons (1950) Golden Jubilee History 1900-1950, ". p.5,7 Paterson Brokensha, Perth 1950

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Masonic Hall
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Masonic Hall

Architectural Styles

Federation Academic Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Sandstone, other

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.