City of Fremantle

Place Number



83 Forrest St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Parent Place or Precinct

26090 Holland/Forrest Street Heritage Area

Physical Description

House, 83 Forrest Street has a single storey timber framed house constructed as a simple version of Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The façade is symmetrical and walls are weatherboard clad. The roof is gabled and Zincalume clad and extends over the front verandah which is supported by square timber posts. There are timber framed sash windows flanked by a central entrance to the front façade. There is a timber picket fence to the front boundary. The place has mature trees.


The rate books show this was vacant land in 1902-3; in 1903-4 a cottage was built; this was part of the Workers Homes Board until 1910-15. Numbers were allocated in 1905, at which time the house was No. 180. It became number 83 when the whole street was renumbered in 1939. Some long-term residents include John G Hay (1916-1922) and Carl G Klenk (1930-1940). The 1911 sewerage map (No. 2133) shows a weatherboard cottage with a verandah across the front. There is a large out-house at the rear of the block. The Land Use Survey Map (1984) indicates the shape of the cottage has changed with additions to the rear. Aerial photos show changes between 1977 and 1981. A black and white photo dated c1991 shows a weatherboard cottage with an iron roof, with a ridge running parallel to the front wall and a verandah as part of the main roof but at a broken pitch. The east side wall is fibro. There appears to be a large window on the east side of the front wall, but the detail is unclear. In 1996, an application to build further dwellings on the block noted that the cottage, originally timber clad, was now clad in asbestos, there were no original doors and windows remaining, it was dilapidated with rotten and missing stumps. It has since been restored, and clad in unpainted weatherboard.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Creation Date

08 Aug 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.