City of Fremantle

Place Number



117 Attfield St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1910

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 117 Attfield Street, is a timber and iron single storey house dating from c 1910. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

117 Attfield Street a single storey (with two storey addition to rear) timber and iron house constructed c.1910 in the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with timber weatherboards. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is under a separate corrugated iron roof supported by timber posts. There is a two storey addition to the rear and a carport extension with gabled roof to the side. There is a limestone and brushwood wall to the front boundary.


Attfield St is named after Dr George Attfield, Imperial Surgeon 1854-1879, who qualified in London in 1850. He attended Fremantle Gaol and was Superintendent at Fremantle Lunatic Asylum. Attfield married a daughter of Surveyor-General Roe. He died in Brighton UK c1923. The street was developed from the late 1890s, with the majority of the houses dating from the first two decades of the twentieth century. House, 117 Attfield Street was built c. 1910. In 1912, Catherine Trew was listed as the owner and occupier. By 1922, the property was owned by Claire Coronal and occupied by Eliza Birch. Ms Coronel retained ownership for several decades, leasing it to a succession of tenants. In 1952, House, 117 Attfield Street was owned and occupied by Nicola Altieri. A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated 1954 shows a weatherboard house with a full length front verandah and various weatherboard and galvanised iron additions to the rear. (The house was then numbered 115 Attfield Street.) The property changed hands several times in 1960 and has had a number of owners since that time.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Terrace housing
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

13 Dec 2006

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

21 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.