Bridge House & Grounds


Shire of York

Place Number



Redmile Rd York

Location Details

Believed to be No. 6 Redmile Road. Part of Blandstown Heritage Precinct

Local Government



Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1860, Constructed from 1998

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List Adopted 25 Nov 2019
State Register Registered 30 Oct 1998 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Local Heritage Survey Adopted 25 Nov 2019 Grade A
Register of the National Estate Registered 21 Mar 1978
Register of the National Estate Interim 21 Mar 1978
Classified by the National Trust Classified 01 May 1985

Parent Place or Precinct

02864 Blandstown Heritage Precinct

Statement of Significance

Bridge House is of considerable significance as part of the first inland farm in the Swan River Colony, following settlement of the Avon Valley in 1831. It comprises examples of the Old Colonial Georgian style of architecture and has aesthetic value as a unified group of farm buildings set in the landscape; the place is representative of a phase of agricultural development of the State and the York District and demonstrates close association with Stephen S Parker. Bridge House (1860) is one of the associated historical components that is no longer part of Balladong Farm due to subdivisions in the 1970s, but remains both significant and relevant to the history and interpretation of the place, including Balladong House (1890s), Heal’s Bridge (over Blands Brook) and the site of Parkers Bridge across the Avon River.

Physical Description

Bridge House and grounds is situated on the Avon River at the southern end of the York townsite, in Blandstown. Bridge House, a two-storey brick building with corrugated iron roof and stone cellar, is situated in grounds of 1.62 hectares.


After York was opened for selection in 1830, the first settlers, arrived in 1831 from the Swan River settlement with the task of establishing a Government Farm. Balladong Farm was settled in 1831 by William Heal, later H. Bland after whom Blandstown is named. Stephen Stanley Parker had arrived in the Colony with his parents in 1830. After marrying Elizabeth Sewell in 1944 he relinquished his interest in 'Cold Harbour' to purchase Balladong Farm in 1848. When Parker and his wife moved to Balladong Farm they initially lived in a simple, two-roomed mud brick house that had been built by Bland. During the 1850s, Parker developed the property into a very successful farm. He built stone stables and a granary, and employed many ticket of leave men. In 1858, Parker erected a large steam flour mill and began a flour milling business. In 1860, by which time the Parkers had nine children, Parker had Bridge House built by George Wansbrough, a local builder. Both a builder and a wheelwright, Wansbrough served his apprenticeship in Perth. He returned to York in 1852, where his family had settled 21 years earlier, to assist his brother in cutting the roof of the first Wesley Church. He soon established his own business and in 1860, moved his trade to his newly constructed house in Avon Terrace in the centre of Blandstown (Wansborough House). Parker was very active in public affairs and devoted much of his life to the advancement of the York district. He was a long-time member of the York Agricultural Society and in 1861, he served on the York Board of Education. Governor Weld appointed him a Justice of the Peace in the 1860s and he served on the York Road Board from its inception in 1871 until 1882, including eight years as its Chairman. Parker was also influential in State politics and was a Member of the Legislative Council from July 1876 to 1885. He was also a member of the Aborigines Protection Board and both Stephen and Elizabeth were very active members of the Anglican community in York. In his later years, Stephen was a diocesan trustee of the Church of England in Perth. In 1882, he retired to 325 Adelaide Terrace, Perth to a house similar in design to Bridge House. Stephen and Elizabeth Parker had six daughters and six sons. Four of the sons, including Stephen Stanley Parker jnr., stayed on the land and two 'made their mark on the State's legal history’. Members of the Parker family continued to live at Bridge House until the death of Annie Christina Parker, the widow of John William Parker, in the early 1960s. It has been suggested that Bridge House was used as a hospital around the time of World War One. The partitioning of the upstairs rooms probably occurred during this time. Apart from that brief period, the house has always been used as a residence. Balladong Farm has been subdivided into Balladong Farm, Bridge House and grounds, and Balladong House all on separate land titles. Following the death of Annie Christina Parker, Bridge House and grounds was sold to Hilda May Barrett-Lennard of York on 5 February 1962. The following year, Daisy Ellen Hall Pierce and Pearl Edna Floyed, retired Salvation Army officers, and Olive Irene Haynes purchased the property. They made Bridge House and grounds their home and continued to maintain the house and grounds. Following their deaths, Bridge House and grounds was sold. The place was purchased by Jane and Stephen Hamersley in 1997. They had designs prepared by Bruce Thomspon in 1997 and converted the interior of the house to suit modern living requirements. The principal rooms were left more or less intact. The north and south wings were altered extensively under Thompson's plan.


Integrity: Good Authenticity: Good




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
National Estate Study; "York Historic Survey".

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9217 Bridge House - final report. Conservation works report 2009
3619 Bridge House Conservation Plan Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 1998
3931 Bridge House, York Heritage Study {Other} 1999
4650 Bridge House : York W.A. : conservation works draft final report : grant allocation 1999/2000. Heritage Study {Other} 2000

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence

Architectural Styles

Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Local Stone
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Cast Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Early settlers

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

23 Jun 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.