City of Fremantle

Place Number



8 Chalmers St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1955

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted Historical Record Only

Parent Place or Precinct

26090 Holland/Forrest Street Heritage Area

Statement of Significance

House, 8 Chalmers Street, is a single storey timber and iron house dating from c1955. While the place is a later construction, its style and scale contribute to the streetscape of houses in Chalmers Street dating from the first half of the 20th century in Fremantle.

Physical Description

House, 8 Chalmers Street is a single storey timber and iron house. The walls are timber framed and clad with timber weatherboards. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is under a continuous corrugated iron roof supported by timber posts. The left side has been partly enclosed. The front façade has a central front door, a single sash to the left and a pair of double hung sash windows to the right. There is a simple picket fence to the front boundary line.


Chalmers Street was originally named Edmund Street which ran from Plympton (East Fremantle) all the way south to Lefroy Rd, Beaconsfield. The section north of Marmion Street is now Hubble Street. The section between Marmion and Knutsford Street changed names in c1949 to Chalmers Street. The street is thought to be named after J. Chalmers who was a Fremantle City Councillor from 1930-1933 and again in 1935-1942. House, 8 Chalmers Street is on lot 6 of 984. The house was originally number 66, (changed to 68 in 1937) and became number 10 when the street was renumbered in 1938. It has since changed to No. 8. A house is first listed in Post Office Directories in this location in 1913 with Alfred Chate as the resident. The 1913 PWD plan of Fremantle (PWD 13017) and the 1914 Sewerage plan (2032) show that the house is small, and set well back from the street; a lot further than the adjacent No. 6. The 1947 and 1953 aerial photos also show this. By 1965 the house has either been demolished and a new one built in its place, or extended to the front, as its front elevation is now parallel to No 6 and close to the street. This puts into doubt the date of construction; however the roof line and style of the house fit in with an early 20th century worker’s cottage. Post Office Directories list a long-term owner/occupant as Mrs May M Kennedy from 1936 to at least 1949 when records cease. Aerials show a roof replacement in 2000-2004, including some rear extensions.


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

25 Feb 2003

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.