City of Fremantle

Place Number



67 Forrest St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Parent Place or Precinct

26090 Holland/Forrest Street Heritage Area

Physical Description

House, 67 Forrest Street is a single storey timber and iron house constructed as a simple variation of the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with timber weatherboards. The hipped roof has a gable to the street and also to the west side. The asymmetrical façade has a verandah under a separate bullnose corrugated iron roof. The verandah is supported by squared timber posts and has a timber balustrade. There are timber framed windows to the front façade.


The rate books show a cottage for the first time in 1900. The house was first listed in Post Office Directories in 1902 with George H. Marsh as resident. Numbers were allocated in 1905, at which time the house was No. 160. It became number 67 when the whole street was renumbered in 1939. The 1914 sewerage map (No. 2118) shows a timber house with a protruding room on the east side and a half-length verandah on the front that wraps half way around the west side of the house. The roof is shown in three sections. There is a timber room attached on the east side that extends to the lot boundary. There is another outbuilding at the rear of the with two square tanks on the south-east corner boundary. From c1914 to 1930 Samuel Truran followed by Victor Truran until c1939. Rate books in 1932/33 list the place as a shop and residence, however post office directories do not corroborate this. A black and white photo dated c1991 shows a weatherboard house with one room on the left-hand side set forward with a gable roof, an exposed truss on the gable end and a sash window with an early canopy. On the right-hand side, the wall is set back to allow for a verandah with a wooden floor, 3 plain wooden verandah posts, a front door on the left-hand side and a sash window on the right-hand side. There is a corrugated iron roof with hips and gables. Aerial photos show that between 1985 and 1995 the lot was subdivided and another house built to the rear. Aerial photos also show that between 2004 and 2010 the main part of the roof was replaced, although the bull nose verandah roof at the front was not.


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Conjoined residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

08 Aug 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.