Martin's Cairn


City of Armadale

Place Number



Lot 26 Clifton St Kelmscott

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1930

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 29 Nov 2002

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Dec 2008 Category A
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Sep 2015 Category A

Statement of Significance

The stone memorial is a modest but prominent landmark located in a highly visible position along Clifton Street. The place is valued by the community as a memorial marking the erection of the first house built in Kelmscott, as well as the life of local pioneer, Henry Martin, who later occupied the house.

Physical Description

This stone cairn is located on the western side of Clifton Street near the edge of the footpath and adjacent to a walk trail (refer to #053 Martin's Crossing, Road Reserve & Rosebushes). It is constructed using local laterite stone with random rubble coursing. It stands around 1m tall and features a marble plaque commemorating the erection of the first house built in Kelmscott by a soldier's guard that had been in the 63rd Regiment.


Henry Martin (died 1871) and his family arrived in the Swan River Colony on the 'Simon Taylor' in August 1842, and purchased Lot 26 (as well as Lots 27 and 18) in 1859. There the martins farmed and raised stock. Later, they were involved in horse breeding and timber carting in the Armadale district. In 1930, a cairn of local stone was erected by the residents of the Kelmscott district and members of the Royal Historical Society, to commemorate the centenary of the 63rd Regiment, who, from 1830, had been stationed at the Barracks - the first house in Kelmscott- at this site. The cairn also memorialised Henry Martin, who resided in this building until the time of its demolition. In 1962-63, the cairn was rebuilt on the roadside, outside the boundary of the property, with the Blessing Ceremony conducted by Reverend G.V. Johnson.


High High




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
AMHI 1995

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
No.52 MI Place No.

Place Type

Historic site


Epoch General Specific
Present Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Monument
Original Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Monument

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

30 Oct 1996

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

02 Jul 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.