City of Fremantle

Place Number



200 South Tce Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 200 South Terrace, is a typical rendered masonry and tile single storey house dating from c 1903. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

200 South Terrace is a single storey, limestone, brick and iron house with a symmetrical facade built in 1903 and designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are limestone with red brick quoins. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The façade has a central front door and two double hung sash windows to one side. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron bullnose roof supported on turned timber posts. There is a brick chimney evident. There is a limestone and iron fence to the front boundary line together with trees making further description difficult. This place contains a limestone feature.


House, 200 South Terrace was built in 1903/04 for I W Smith and occupied by James Henry Smith. Sheds and stables were built at the same time. James Smith subsequently became the owner of the property and occupied it until at least 1920. A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated 1908 shows a stone residence with a front verandah and a small back verandah and bathroom. The stables and sheds were built along the rear boundary. Circa 1934, the property was purchased by Ivan Yurisich, a migrant for Yugoslavia. Paul Prizmich was the owner between 1940 and the mid- 1970s. The house has had several owners since that time. By 1954, a brick garage had been built at the front of the house and there was a large brick addition to the rear, and a smaller brick laundry. There was also a well in the backyard and galvanised iron stables were still against the back fence. Plans for alterations were submitted to Fremantle Council in the 1950s. A swimming pool was built in 1978. By 1993, a separate three bedroom home had been built behind the house. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

19 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.