City of Fremantle

Place Number



12 Chalmers St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1906

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Parent Place or Precinct

26090 Holland/Forrest Street Heritage Area

Statement of Significance

House, 12 Chalmers Street is a single storey timber and iron house dating from 1906. The place is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of Fremantle. It is historically significant as a representation of working people’s living conditions in the Fremantle area. The place is aesthetically significant as an example of Fremantle’s vernacular architecture. While the place has undergone significant alteration, it contributes to the streetscape of houses in Chalmers Street.

Physical Description

House, 12 Chalmers Street is a single storey timber framed and weatherboard clad house with a Zincalume hipped roof. The bull nosed verandah is supported by turned timber posts. There are timber double hung sash windows which are extant. There are additions on the northern side of the original house.


Chalmers Street was originally named Edmund Street which ran from Plympton (East Fremantle) all the way south to Lefroy Rd, Beaconsfield. The section north of Marmion Street is now Hubble Street. The section between Marmion and Knutsford Street changed names in c1949 to Chalmers Street. The street is thought to be named after J. Chalmers who was a Fremantle City Councillor from 1930-1933 and again in 1935-1942. House, 12 Chalmers Street is on lot 7 of 984. The house was originally number 70, and became number 12 when the street was renumbered in 1938. A house is first listed in Post Office Directories in this location in 1906. Mrs Ellen Miller was the resident until 1919. The 1913 PWD plan of Fremantle (PWD 13017) and the 1914 Sewerage plan (2032) show No. 12 as an L-shaped weatherboard house, with rear steps leading off a rear room to the north side, and a large galvanised iron outbuilding opposite. From 1936 to 1949 the occupant was Thomas J. Jones, and the owner was Elizabeth Jones. A black and white photo from 1990 is on file at the Fremantle Local History Collecton. Aerial photos show that there were some rear extensions in 2000-2004, and in 2007 the house was extended to the north which changed the roof form and its appearance from the street.


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Zincalume

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

25 Feb 2003

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.