McCourt Farm


Shire of Capel

Place Number



Hayfield Dve Peppermint Grove Beach

Location Details

Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1869

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Classified by the National Trust Classified 13 Oct 2003
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Aug 1999 Category B

Statement of Significance

The place is of considerable significance for it's associations with the McCourt family and early settlement along the coast. It is a good example of a dwelling of the period.

Physical Description

One room limestone. The remaining 2 rooms were wattle and daub.


James McCourt arrived in the colony in 1842 with his wife Mary and two children, on the 'Trusty'. He worked at Australind as a timber worker.In 1843, they abandoned Australind and moved to Ludlow where several Catholic families had settled. By 1847 McCourt had a 330 acre depasturing lease which he named 'Fatfield' by 1848. He expanded his property. After buying land at Peppermint Grove Beach in 1854, he purchased locations 181-185 in 1860. In 1862, after floods washed away their dwelling, he sold property to Captain Molloy. After some years of financial difficulties, he was able to retain Peppermint Grove properties and built a dwelling. He established 'McCourt's Farm', growing onions, breeding horses and raising cattle. In 1873, the government resumed part of Location 182 as a site chosen for a cut through the sea. In 1874, Charles Manning (Clerk of Works) had the cut built by the last of the convicts from the Bunbury depot which closed the same year. The cut was immediatelty south of Doungup, and is still there. McCourt was employed to keep the cut clear. People often camped on the land in the valley near the safe swimming spot and during the popularity of theplace, it became known as Peppermint Grove. James McCourt died in 1899. His daughter Kathleen McCourt married Robert Hardey in 1904, after having helped run the farm for a number od years, continued to do so after her husband died in 1933. During WWII, a lookout was established at Hardy's Hill and Alex Campbell was stationed there. Mrs Hardey employed him to help on the farm before he was assigned to Bougainville. After the war, Alex Campbell settled his family with Mrs Hardey, purchased some land and managed the property. When Mrs Hardey died, (early 1950's) she left some property to Alex Campbell. In the early 1960's part of the farm was sold off the developers and Alex Campbell did some development with the first residential blocks at Peppermint Grove Beach in 1965. In 1966 Jim Campbell and his wife Cheryl became part owners of the property and settled there in 1975. Part of the property has since been developed by the Campbells as the McCourt Hill Estate.


Integrity: Redeemable Authenticity: High Degree




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Chase D and Krantz V; "Just a Horse Ride Away, A history iof the Shire of Capel and it's people". pp. 29, 32, 40, 45, 46, 57, 58 Shire of Capel Local History Collection 1995

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall EARTH Wattle and Daub
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

17 Jun 1991

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.