Shire of Capel

Place Number



62 Forrest Beach Rd Forrest Beach

Location Details

Other Name(s)


Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1863

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Aug 1999 Category 4

Statement of Significance

The place is of considerable significance for the associations with McCourts, the Catholic Church, Forrests and convict labour. It is a substantial place informing of a way of life no longer practised, and was a major port for the hinterland.

Physical Description

No inspection was made. 1863 -1 st three rooms-bricks baked at Ludlow, built by Ward.


James McCourt arrived in the colony December 1842, with his wife Mary, on the Trusty to work at Australind as a timber worker. He was determined to improve his station in life. After the death of their daughter in January 1843, they abandoned Australind and leased Sussex location 81 next to Moriarty, and called it 'Fatfield'. James Jnr was bom soon after in 1844. As with many other settlers at the time, McCourt grazed cattle and bred remount horses for the Indian army. He expanded his property, and his place became the meeting place in the district. Mass was held whenever the priest came through the area. In 1845, the Catholic Church planned three missions, with one being in the centre of loc 62, north of the Ludlow River, close to the McCourts. The land was allocated to the church, and the McCourts managed it. In 1848, Fatfield was the venue for the first Catholic baptism in the area. McCourt used TOL labour for the heavy work of draining the water form the land. In 1853, James Paine married Ann McCourt at Fatfield, and in 1860 Ann was remarried at Fatfield. In 1861, Mary McCourt died and one of the boys joined the Gregory expedition in the north west of the colony. In 1862 James snr married Ann Murphy. In 1862, floods washed the house away , and James built the first aprt of the existing Seaview. In c.1863 Captain Molloy bought Fatfield from McCourt, and leased the property to Peter and Margaret Gibbons, who renamed the property bayview. They purchased the property and lived there for approximately 20 years until they returned to England. James Hill Forrest purchased the place in 1885 after it had been empty for some time, to please his wife Annie Maria (nee Ramsay), and renamed the place Seaview. In 1929, Bruce Forrest married Christina (Sweetie) Scott, and moved to Seaview. The port facility was located on the coast of the property, it is there that George Payne's 'Citizen of London' was launched. In c1970 James Hill Forrest's grandson Jim, with wife Marie built a new home at the property.


Integrity: Redeemable Authenticity: High Degree


Fair - Good


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Chase D & Krantz V; "Just a Horse Ride Away, A History of the Shire of Capel". pp. 29, 32, 40, 45, 46, 57, 58. Shire of Capel Local History Collection 1995

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

19 Jun 1991

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.