inHerit Logo

Sugar Gum Trees


City of Swan

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


James St Guildford

Location Details

Municipal Inventory No: 640 Three of these trees are within P17684 Guildford Railway Precinct.

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 29 Oct 2004

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Aug 2017 Category 3

Category 3

Some/Moderate Significance to the locality. Contributes to the heritage of the locality. Has some altered or modified elements, not necessarily detracting from the overall significance of the place.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Jul 1998 Significant


Conservation of the place is desirable. Any alterations or extensions should be sympathetic to the heritage values of the place and original fabric whould be retained wherever possible.

Statement of Significance

The trees are a landmark in Guildford and help to define the identity of the town.

There are few places in the metropolitan area where sugar gums and flooded gums have been allowed to grow to their natural height.

Physical Description

Line of sugar-gum trees, flooded-gums and a lemon-scented gum, mainly on the northern side of James Street, Guildford, with two sugar-gums on the southern side at the corner with Meadow Street. The sugar gums were originally planted in a continuous line along the northern side of James Street, probably in the late 1890s.


The first sugar gums to be planted as street trees in Guildford were planted in 1874 by the Guildford Municipal Council. Over the next fifty years or so, the Council continued to plant sugar gums in the streets and in Stirling Square, making them a notable characteristic of the town.

Apart from occasional lopping, the line was allowed to grow to its natural height. After World War II various parts of the original line were removed at various times, breaking it into groups.

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
6437 James Street sugar gums : arboricultural reports. Report 1999

Place Type



Epoch General Specific
Original Use OTHER Other
Present Use OTHER Other

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

15 Jan 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

25 Oct 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.