inHerit Logo



z Fremantle ARCHIVED 201216

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


9 Knutsford St Fremantle

Location Details

formerly 171 Hill Street and 9 Hill Street

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1895

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007 City of Fremantle

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Assessed - Below Threshold Current 26 Jul 2002

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory YES 14 Oct 2000 Level 2

Level 2

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of considerable cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is a priority.

City of Fremantle

Statement of Significance

The place is a good example of a stone residence in the Victorian Italianate style, representing the expansion of Fremantle in the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
The place contributes to a substantially intact late nineteenth and early twentieth century streetscape close to the centre of Fremantle.

Physical Description

Single storey stone with tuck pointed brick quoining to window and door openings and the bay house which sits above and is setback from the pavement. The zincalume hipped and gabled roof has two rendered chimneys with corbelling extant. The dropped verandah is supported by timber posts and metal balustrades and is probably not original. There is a rendered pillared and low walled fence which has cast iron inserts and additions at the rear of the house. This place contains a limestone feature.


In 1894 the lot was vacant and owned by Arthur George Ing. In 1895 a four room cottage was built on the site, owned by John Frank. This is confusing as John Frank is listed as owning lot 807 in 1894 and 1896 and not lot 824. In 1896 three cottages are listed and each is owned and occupied by Frank Cadd, Thomas B Grey and Frederick Instone. The first occupant of number nine was Frederick Instone. He arrived from Birmingham in 1889 and owned a plumbing business, Instone and co. He was prominent in social activities and dramatic and musical organisations. He was the tenor soloist of A Johns church choir. He was a councillor (1895-1899). He was a member and chairman of the Fremantle Hospital Board(1909-1913), a Justice of Peace and member of three horse racing clubs. The house was named "Eveleigh" after Fred Instones wife. From 1934 to 1973 the house was occupied by members of the Higham family well known for their contribution to business and local and state government. Originally the pro

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Victorian Italianate

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other BRICK Common Brick
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Zincalume
Wall BRICK Pointed Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

11 May 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.