Local Government
Greater Geraldton
Region
Midwest
Tenindewa-Indarra Rd Tenindewa
East of Yuna - Tenindewa Road, facing north side of railway line.
Greater Geraldton
Midwest
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
Heritage List | Adopted | 15 Dec 2015 |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 24 Jun 2014 | Category 3 |
Category 3 |
The Tenindewa Store Fmr has considerable historic significance as the last remaining structure associated
with the small commuity that emerged adjacent to the siding from the 1920s. It is indicative of how small
settlements were established along the railway as land was allocated and taken up in the vicinity. The building
has some aesthetic appeal given its simple form with surrounding verandahs and is a landmark along the
Mullewa Road.
The Tenindewa Store Fmr is located on open ground immediately north of, and facing towards, the railway
line. The simple square building is of concrete block construction with a zincalume clad gable roof. The roof
extends to cover surrounding verandahs which are supported on new timber posts. The front of the building,
the southern elevation, has a central doorway with a window on each side. A sign saying "Tenindewa' is
affixed to the gable end above the verandah. There is concrete paving to the front verandah and two
corrugated iron clad dunnies located to the rear (north).
Kockatea Siding, which was renamed Tenindewa in 1909, was one of the many stops on the GeraldtonMullewa
railway constructed in 1893. A railway gang and some of their families were housed there to service
the line and, after farming commenced in the area from 1905, a small community emerged near the Siding
which thrived particulary from the 1920swhen a lot of nearby land was allocated. By 1910 there were railway
buildings, sports facilities and a race course, a post office and a hall, and by 1913, a school. The first
Tenindewa Store, a Westfarmers Co-operative and Post Office, was built by Alex Rumble in 1921. In 1924 Bill
Griffiths leased the store from Alex Rumble until 1935 when he built a new (existing) Store and Post Office.
The store closed in 1985 and is all that remains of a once thriving community
Original Fabric: Largely intact
Good
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | COMMERCIAL | Shop\Retail Store {single} |
Present Use | Transport\Communications | Comms: Post or Telegraph Office |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
Wall | CONCRETE | Concrete Block |
General | Specific |
---|---|
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS | Mail services |
OCCUPATIONS | Commercial & service industries |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.