inHerit Logo

Norman Brothers


City of Albany

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


104-106 Stirling Tce Albany

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Albany Billiard Saloon
Albany Curtain Centre
Drew Robinson & Co (fmr)
F. E Morgan Bookseller
Harden Stationers
Norman Bros Newsagency

Local Government



Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1910

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 27 Oct 2020

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Local Heritage Survey Adopted 27 Oct 2020 Considerable


Very important to the heritage of the locality.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category B

Category B

• Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Parent Place or Precinct

14922 Stirling Terrace Precinct, Albany

Statement of Significance

Stirling Terrace Precinct:

Stirling Terrace Precinct, a predominantly late Victorian and Federation period townscape set along a segmented crescent plan overlooking Princess Royal Harbour, Albany and containing a diverse range of building types and styles, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:
the historic precinct is a fine and relatively intact example of a late nineteenth century and early twentieth century townscape, dating primarily from 1867 to 1915, demonstrating a range of activities and support infrastructure associated with the foundation and development of a prominent nineteenth century town;
the historic precinct is rare as a prominently located townscape with a town plan dating from the foundation of the settlement with a set of finely designed Victorian and Federation period buildings;
as the original commercial heart of the town, the historic precinct was an important part of the development of the region and the State to varying degrees from the 1830s until World War One when Albany was a prominent town in the Colony and Australia, due to its role as the Colony’s coal depot for the international mail and passenger service, which linked Europe to the eastern colonies. This role was expanded with the addition of regional railways and interstate telegraph links;
viewed from the harbour and from the western approaches to the town, the historic precinct as a whole is a landmark, strengthened by the strong vertical accents of the Royal George Hotel and the former Post Office;
the historic precinct is highly valued by the local community for its aesthetic values and historic associations and, along with the defining topography of the Princess Royal Harbour, Mount Melville and Mount Clarence, is as one of the elements that contributes to the local community’s sense of place and to the identity of Albany;
within the precinct, G.T. Poole’s designs for the Post Office and Court House demonstrate creative excellence and J.T. Hobbs’ design for the Sandover & Co store, which later became Drew Robinson & Co.’s store, at 108-110 Stirling Terrace makes innovative use of large plate glass windows;
the historic precinct includes buildings designed by prominent architects James Manning, Lt. General Sir J. T. Hobbs, J. Herbert Eales, and George T. Poole, and was historically the location of businesses founded and run by significant Albany and regional identities including Thomas Sherratt, Alexander Moir, John Robinson, Charles Drew, Frank Dymes, Edward Barnett, J.F.T. Hassell, and E.G. Everett.

Physical Description

Some of the notable features of this place include:
• Set in a group of significant buildings in Stirling Terrace
• This is one half of what was once a matching pair of shops
• Smooth rendered finish to façade with some subtle projections in classical columns and window architraves
• Feature string course
• Upper and lower entablatures across building
• Bracketed eaves
• Shop front with picture windows and recessed central door
• Metal shopfront windows

Some obvious modifications include:
• Removal of c1914 timber double storey verandah, and later awning and reconstructed bullnose verandah replaced with current skillion roof
• External colour scheme

Refer also to: Considine & Griffiths Architects in association with Kris Bizzaca, Stirling Terrace, Albany, Conservation Plan, October 2000.


Norman Brothers
Before the Norman Bros building was constructed, a single storey timber and iron building was originally on this Lot, owned by Sandover & Co. and tenanted by Mr H. Harden, stationer. The adjacent building to the west/left (108-110) was built in 1891 and also owned by Sandover & Co. who leased it to Drew Robinson & Co.
Harden’s timber and iron building only experienced minor damage from the fire in 1905 that destroyed Barnett’s original building next door (to the east at 96-102). From 1907 to 1909, F. E. (Francis Edward) Morgan, Bookseller Stationers and agent for the Morning Herald operated his business from this modest shop. In 1909 Morgan sold his business to brothers John Jnr and Arthur Norman who established Norman Bros, booksellers, stationers, newsagents and fancy goods importers.
By 1914 Morgan’s old shop was demolished and the present two-storey building was constructed. A double-storey timber verandah was added to both buildings to connect them. Sandover & Co. sold the building in 1934 to Smith Bros (later Smith & Sons). Norman Brothers continued to lease the building and operate their newsagents. The Albany Billiard Saloon was also located on the second floor from the 1920s, run by various locals including Jack Thomas, Frederick Davey, John (Jack) Fitzpatrick and Ronald Friessbourg. Norman Bros supported the local community as well, establishing the annual Norman Prize for special school services and the Norman Shield for the winners of the local soccer league.
The Norman Bros business was put up for sale in late 1938 however Norman Bros were still advertising into the 1950s when John retired.
The Norman Brothers building is similar in scale to the western attached building (Sandover & Co 108-110), but the upper floor windows are treated differently reflecting its later construction, with three windows set into large expanses of wall, each of the windows having decorative architraves. The top entablature follows the pattern of the western section of the building. The double-storey timber verandah was removed and replaced in the 1960s by a cantilevered awning as was common along the Terrace.
During the 1990s these premises were occupied by the Albany Curtain Centre and in 2000 was shared with another tenant, David Lee Rees, Farm advisor, with a section of the ground floor being vacant. A bullnose verandah was installed around this time and remained until c2010 when it was replaced with a skillion verandah.

John Jnr and Arthur Norman were the two eldest sons of John Snr and Eliza (nee Mews). John Norman Snr was born in Albany on in 1861 and worked nearly all his life for the Postal service in Albany including many years as Postmaster. Their parents lived at 78 Brunswick Road. They had a younger brother Percy (killed in action in WWI) and two sisters Eva and Amy. Their uncle was Josiah Norman, well-known local building contractor.
John Norman Jnr
John Norman Jnr was born in Albany in 1884 and went to the local Collegiate School. Like his father, John Norman Snr, he entered the Postal service but later retired from the service to establish the commercial enterprise Norman Bros stationers with his younger brother Arthur. John Jnr eventually took sole charge of the business when Arthur left Albany after having bought the Beverley Newsagency.

As well as his business activities, John Jnr was Chairman of the Albany Road Board, Mayor President of the Chamber of Commerce, president of the Parents and Citizens' Association, a Justice of the Peace and also active in the Methodist Church. He was also devoted to local sports in the district, serving as President of the Albany Tennis Club, President of the Albany Basket Ball Association and Vice-President of the Albany Cricket Association. John Jnr developed a keen interest in agriculture, becoming a member of the C.C. Land Development Committee and also establishing a mixed farming property “Rock Glen” on the King River, which earnt him several first prizes for his stock at the Agricultural Shows. In 1936 he purchased the well-established station Mt Manypeaks from the Haynes family, and he and his sons, Gordon and Walter (Bill), continued the running of this successful property. However, he still remained involved in Norman Bros and
In recognition of his retirement in 1954 a civic farewell was given to John Jnr and his wife. John Jnr died in July 1963.

Arthur Norman
Arthur Norman was born in 1888 in Albany. After leaving school he worked for the WA Government Railway Department in Albany. Arthur married Ada Pease 1920 and they had a daughter Marjorie. He and his family left Albany and moved to Borden where Arthur ran a newsagency business then by 1940 they had moved again this time to Beverley after purchasing the Beverley Newsagency which Arthur ran until 1951. Their daughter Marjorie had married Mervyn Fleay and moved to West Brookton. Arthur and Ada returned to Albany in 1957 and built a home near the harbor foreshore. Arthur died after his older brother, in Albany in June 1965 aged 77.

Stirling Terrace Precinct

Stirling Terrace is one of the City of Albany’s most significant heritage assets, both as a streetscape and as a collection of Victorian and Federation period buildings overlooking Princess Royal Harbour. Stirling Terrace is located in visually striking topography and its segmented crescent plan form remains basically as it was when first recorded by Surveyor Hillman in 1835. The mature trees and the harmonious architectural composition of diverse building types and styles provide additional visual interest.

Stirling Terrace was developed from the 1830s following the establishment of Albany as part of the Swan River colony, and was an important part of the development of the region and the State to varying degrees from the 1830s until World War One. The 1835 Hillman survey plan set the scene for the emergence of Stirling Terrace as the prime location in the town, with a rich variety of social, commercial, leisure, institutional and service functions. The majority of the built fabric which remains today was completed in the period 1867 to 1915. The buildings were designed by some of the State’s most eminent architects and many were built for prominent citizens and institutions.

Over the years the commercial focus of Albany has moved to York Street, with many institutions, such as banks and the post office relocating there. Free of substantial development pressure at a critical time, Stirling Terrace has managed to retain many of its historic structures and features. Viewed from the harbour, and from the western approach to the town, Stirling Terrace has a landmark quality as a whole.

Refer also to: Considine & Griffiths Architects in association with Kris Bizzaca, Stirling Terrace, Albany, Conservation Plan, October 2000.


Integrity: High/Moderate
Authenticity: Moderate




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999
R Apperly, R Irving & P Reynolds; "A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture". Angus and Robertson NSW 1989
K Bizzaca; "Stirling Terrace, Albany, Draft Conservation Plan". Considine & Griffiths Architects 2000

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}
Present Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

17 Mar 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

26 May 2022


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.