inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


9 Holland St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1893

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory YES 14 Oct 2000 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Physical Description

Single storey rendered walls and a Zincalume steeply pitched hipped roof house which sits approximately half a metre below the pavement level. The dropped verandah is supported by metal columns which are not original. The timber double hung sash windows each have six panes. There is a low rendered wall to the front boundary.


In 1890 Fremantle Pt Lot 1000 is recorded as land ''found by owner'' Joshua Beisley. He built a four-room cottage in 1893. Rate Books record Joshua Beisley as a labourer. Post office directories list Beisley as a dairyman from 1898.
A Fremantle Harbour Works Plan from 1898 (PWD 6409) shows the house and dairy buildings. The house is large and square, and sits on the western boundary of the lot. The dairy buildings line the length of the south and east boundaries of the lot. A 1913 plan (PWD 13017) also shows the extent of the dairy buildings.
The house was originally number 14, and became number 9 when the whole street was renumbered in 1937.
The 1914 Sewerage Plan (No 2033) shows a square plan form with verandahs on the north, west and south sides. There are numerous brick and timber outbuildings associated with the dairy. To the east of the house is the outline of another house (No. 11). (This may have been built by 1911, but is more likely to have been added into the plan later, as rate books and post office directories do not record this house until 1925).
The dairy was still in operation until 1923. In 1924, Joseph Beisley is the new occupant. The following year, rate books record another house on the lot (No. 11) and post office directories list that this was occupied by Arthur Beisley.
From c1930 to 1940 James Hansen was the main resident, followed by Arthur Hay (until at least 1949 when post office directory records cease).
Aerial photos show that the house has changed very little since 1948. It has a small extension to the rear on the west side of the main roof.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Zincalume

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.