inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


3 Chudleigh St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1906

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Statement of Significance

House, 3 Chudleigh Street, is a single storey timber and iron house dating from 1906. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of Fremantle. It is historically significant as a representation of working people’s living conditions in the Fremantle area. The place is aesthetically significant as an example of Fremantle’s vernacular architecture.

Physical Description

House, 3 Chudleigh Street is a single storey timber framed house with weatherboard clad walls and a corrugated iron hipped roof. There is a dropped verandah which is supported by timber posts and brackets. The timber double hung windows are extant. There is a timber picket front fence fronting the garden.


Chudleigh Street was named after a town in Devonshire UK, the birthplace of draper and Fremantle City Councillor R. B. Carter, who served in 1911-14, 1918-19, 1919-25 and 1929-1930. The street was originally called Congdon St when built in 1905. It changed to its current name in 1924.
Post Office Directories first list two houses near the Marmion Street end of Congdon Street in 1906. They were No 1 and No 3. The first resident of No 3 was Richard Scott. Numbers were allocated in 1921, at which time No 3 was occupied by James O’Neill.
The 1911 Sewerage plan (2133) shows a square plan for the house with a full length front verandah and a half length verandah to the rear. There were two small outbuildings towards the western boundary fence.
Aerial photos show that there were two large buildings erected in the rear yard in the late 1990s.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.