inHerit Logo

St Phillip's Anglican Church & Cemetery


Heritage Council

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


1050 Toodyay-Bindi Bindi Rd Culham

Location Details

GPS: 0446531 6519764

Other Name(s)

Culham Church

Local Government



Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1852, Constructed from 1857

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 01 Dec 2012 Shire of Toodyay

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 27 Feb 2004

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 01 Jun 1973

Anglican Church Inventory YES 31 Jul 1996

Classified by the National Trust Classified 16 Jun 2016

Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 1

Category 1

A place of exceptional cultural heritage significance; provide the highest level of recognition and protection available. Recommended for entry into the the State Register of Heritage Places; provide maximum encouragement to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. (TPS procedure also relevant).

Shire of Toodyay


The place has aesthetic value as a stone & brick church in the Victorian Gothic style with an associated cemetery located in a picturesque rural setting.

The place has associations with the development of Culham and in particular with the local Anglican Parish from 1850s up to the present day.

The place has associations with pioneers of the Culham area, the Phillips, who donated the land towards the construction of the church and were highly influential in its construction.

The place is believed to be the second oldest still operating Anglican Church in WA.

The place is one of only a few extant churches dating from the 1850s in the Wheatbelt area.

Physical Description

The place comprises a church, cemetery, wc, front entry gate and fence, and plantings such as pencil pines.

The church is of stone construction (1852) with brick gable infills (1857) and a steep CGI clad roof. There are brick quoins to openings, including the arched leadlight windows, and the building has a separate rendered front porch. Steel braces have been installed on the south-east side of the building.

The cemetery has headstones and railings.


In 1847, the Church of England constituted a new diocese of South Australia which included all of Western Australia until 1856. In 1849, Bishop Augustus Short, the first Bishop of Adelaide, visited his brother in law SP Phillips at Culham, and recognisiong the need for a church Phillips donated 12 acres of land for the purpose, and started a building fund. In 1850, the timber was cut, and by 1852, the stone walls had been constructed, and the building was roofed with flat sheets of iron. (shipments of sheet iron were available in Perth from late 1840s). The first service was held in April 1853, even though the church wasn’t finished, and in November 1854, Simon Martin and Emily Doust were married in the church even though it was in a bad state of repair. The Phillips family departed for England, and the church fell into disrepair. When the Phillips returned, work was resumed, and the church opened on 19 July 1857, and was celebrated with a dinner at the Culham homestead that evening. Although a Bishop of Perth had been consecrated in 1856, St Phillip’s was not consecrated until September 1895, when the Right reverend GOL Riley, the 3rd Bishop and 1st Archbishop traveled to Culham. Special permission is required to be buried in Culham Cemetery; a person must be a descendant of someone already interred. The church is the second oldest active Anglican church in Western Australia, (Oldest is St John’s in Albany) and still a cemetery. The church is still an active worship centre with monthly services and special services at Christmas, Easter and Harvest.





State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
7915 Toodyay homesteads: past and present. Book 2006

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Architectural Styles

Victorian Free Gothic

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Other Stone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

13 Oct 2023


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.