inHerit Logo



Shire of Capel

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Goodwood Rd Capel River

Location Details

12 km East of Capel

Other Name(s)


Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1922, Constructed from 1930

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 01 Jul 2018

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Classified 14 Jun 2004

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Aug 1999 Category B

Category B

Considerable Significance Very important to the heritage of the locality. High degree of integrity/authenticity. Retention and conservation of the place is highly desirable. Any alterations or additions should reinforce the significance of the place. Original fabric should be retained where feasible. Photographically record prior to major development or demolition.

Statement of Significance

The place has considerable significance as the social centre of the Capel River district during the 1920's, and for it's associaitions with the school teacher. The homestead has a sense of place for the Wittfoht family descendants for the ceremonies and events that have taken place.The Wittfoht family are of significance as early settlers in the Capel River area, and the continuity of the family ownership is an uncommon occurence. The home is a fine example of the period, and is important for the associaitons with Eales and Cohen architects, and it retains a high degree of integrity and authenticity.

Physical Description

The home is located on 224 acres of undulating river country each side of the Capel River. The red faced brick construction comprises four rooms and a central hallway. the corrugated iron roof is relatively complex for the four rooms,a dn features three prominent gables and basic hipped gambrel roof. A verandah wraps two sides and the front of the place, returning into the dinign room, and is a continuation of the main roof at break pitch. The front facade is symmetrical with dining room projectin gon the side. The front has a stained glass leadlight door with sidelights which is flanked either side by a set of bay windows. The dining room features a bay window on the side elevation. The kitchen, vestibule and bathroom and back verandahs are entered from the back door which is the same as the front door. The roof line of the additions is of the same style as the 1922 home. Each room has a fireplace, rustic timber work is evident throughout, and the place is intact.


The property was taken up by William and Catherine Wiitfoht in 1897, after German born William had worked in the Broken Hill mines. After camping on the river bank with their two daughters, they built a slab and clay plaster cottage with four rooms and the luxury of glass windows. Their other three daughters were born there. The property was developed as an orchard and they grew potatoes and ran chickens. A mill site was on the brook on the proeprty about the turn of the century.
During WWI, anti-German sentiment resulted in Mr Wittfoht being removed from the Capel Roads Board (Councillor). The existing home was built for William and Catherine in Wittfoht in 1922. It was the venue of the Capel river community for social meetings of the local tennis club and Fruit Growers Association. The main room of the house was the dining room, and main social and meeting room, measuring 28 feet by 15 feet. During the 1930's the school teachers for the Capel River School boarded at the Wittfoht's, as the school was opposite their property on the Goodwood Rd, and the tennis courts only a short distance away on the Capel side. 18 to 20 teachers were boarded over the years, with Miss Duel being the first one after the school was relocated from School Hill in 1926.
The Wittfoht's had five daughters, and in 1927, 1928 and 1936, family weddings took place at the home. Also in the early 1980's and 1990's. The current owner, Ian Sharpe, is the grandson of Mr & Mrs Wittfoht, being the son of Tessie. The bridge over the river at the property was constructed in 1918, by the Payne brothers from timber cut by by Vin Farley. In 1927, a home was built on the other side of the river for Ida Wittfoht and her new husband Tom Scott after they were married in 1928.
In more recent years, the local pony club has run one day events, camp draughting and harness combined driving events, on the property.


Integrity: Intact
Authenticity: High Degree




Name Type Year From Year To
Eales and Cohen Architect 1922 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Chase D and Krantz V; "Just a Horse Ride Away, A history iof the Shire of Capel and it's people". Shire of Capel Local History Collection 1995

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9577 Shire of Capel heritage: a taste of its successes, disappointments and its future. Heritage Study {Other} 2010

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Other TIMBER Other Timber

Creation Date

25 Nov 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

31 Mar 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.