inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


102 Holland St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Physical Description

House, 102 Holland Street is a single storey timber and iron house constructed as a simple variation of the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are painted timber weatherboard. The gable roof is clad with corrugated iron. The front verandah sits under a separate bullnose corrugated iron roof. The verandah is supported by timber posts with decorative timber brackets. The symmetrical front façade has a central entry door with fanlights and side lights and timber double hung windows symmetrically placed either side. The place has a painted timber picket front boundary fence and timber entry lynch gate.


Twelve houses Holland Street (Nos. 90-112) were all built by 1902.
Lot 1149 was vacant in 1900. In the 1901/02 rate period a cottage, owned by the Government, had been built and was occupied by Thomas Grant, a labourer.
Numbers were allocated in 1905. The house was originally number 175, and became number 102 when the whole street was renumbered in 1937.
The 1914 Sewerage Plan (No 2118) shows a small weatherboard house with a verandah at front and rear, and a roof in two parts.
By 1909/10 James Dew was the owner. In 1912 Edward Cassidy was the owner and rented the property. From c1940 the owner /occupier was Joseph Gilbert Byrne, until at least 1949 (when post office directory records cease).
Aerial photos show that between 2000 and 2004 the lot was subdivided and a new house built at the rear.


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

07 Aug 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.