inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


11 Forrest St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1908

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Physical Description

House, 11 Forrest Street is a single storey brick and iron house. Walls are tuck pointed brick and have rendered banding. The hipped roof has two small half gables and two painted brick chimneys with corbelling extant. There is a separate skillion roof verandah supported by steel posts. Solar panels on the roof are visually prominent. The façade has timber framed double hung sash windows flank the central entrance door that has side panels. There is a low limestone block wall to the footpath fronting the central path and garden.


Lot 982 has two parts. Both were vacant to at least 1904/5. In 1908, a cottage was built on one part, owned and occupied by Mrs Mary W. Brown. Fremantle Rate Books show that rates were collected from Mrs Brown from 1909 which confirms the date of construction. The other lot was vacant to at least 1924/5 and was owned by the Government.
A 1913 plan (PWD 13017) shows the house as the only one in that block on the south side of Forrest Street.
The 1914 sewerage map (No. 2032) shows a brick house with a full length front verandah with central stairs, and a rear verandah with weatherboard enclosures at each end. There was an outbuilding against the western boundary fence in the rear yard.
The house was originally number 84, and became number 11 when the whole street was renumbered in 1939.
Mrs Brown lived at the house until c1920, after which residents included James Moir (c1920-25) then James Grady, who lived there until at least 1949, when Post Office Directories records cease.
Aerial photos (Landgate) show that in the late 2000/early 2010s the rear section of the house was redeveloped and the main roof (terracotta tiles) was replaced with Zincalume.


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall BRICK Pointed Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

25 Feb 2003

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.