inHerit Logo

Hoddy Well & Cottage


Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


925 Clackline-Toodyay Rd Hoddys Well

Location Details

GPS: 0450775 6499174

Other Name(s)

Chrimes Cottage

Local Government



Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1888

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 01 Dec 2012

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Classified 14 Oct 1996

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 3

Category 3

Recognition of cultural heritage value; Provide recognition and protection through the processes of the Town Planning Scheme. Recommend that the place is retained and conserved if possible. Photographically record the place to any major redevelopment or demolition.

Statement of Significance

The place has historic value for its association with early settler Lieutenant Frederick Slade, railway workers from the 1880's and the Chrimes family. The well is of historic value as a remnant from the expansion of the district in the 1880's when railway workers camped at the site. The site has research value as it has potential to contain subsurface archaeological remains.

Physical Description

The well was not inspected but advised that it is fenced out and covered with wooden planks, constructed of stone and in good condition.
The house is a mudbrick rendered cottage with a replaced iron roof and surrounded by verandahs. Colonial style windows and a half hipped roof are present. The building is of a very simple style in a bushland setting.


This is part of Location X granted to H.G. Smith which was taken up by Lieutenant Frederick Slade after Smith died in 1841. He named the property 'Glenavon'. Slade appointed William Dodd as a policeman and leased him a small enclosure and house near 'Glenavon' where Dodd later conducted a store. By 1926 Mr masters, who owned 'Glenavon' sold a portion to Mr. Cutler. Hoddy's Well was used by railway construction workers when they established a camp at the site in 1886 and has been used by travellers for many years. The original cottage was abandoned after a flood. The existing cottage was built in about 1836 by Mr Chrimes.


Integrity: Low-Medium
Authenticity: Medium

Integrity: High
Authenticity: High



Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Other Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Present Use Transport\Communications Rail: Water Tower
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall EARTH Adobe {Mud Brick}
Other RENDER Other Render

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport

Creation Date

21 Oct 1996

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

19 Apr 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.