inHerit Logo

Scott's Tavern


Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


78 Hampton St Bridgetown

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Farmers' Home Hotel
Farmers' Rest Hotel

Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1902, Constructed from 2015, Constructed from 1876

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 18 Mar 1983
Heritage List Adopted 28 Nov 2019

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Jun 2001 Category 2

Category 2

High level of protection appropriate: provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the town planning scheme to conserve the significance of the place.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Mar 2018 Management Category B

Management Category B

Conservation of the place is highly desirable. If not already, to be included on the Local Heritage List. Development proposals to be assessed pursuant to State Planning Policy 3.5 Historic Heritage Conservation; a Conservation Management Plan (if one exists); and to reinforce the significance of the place. Record prior to redevelopment, recognise and interpret if possible.

Statement of Significance

Scott’s Tavern is significant as the oldest remaining public house in Bridgetown, which continues to operate today as a public tavern.
The rear areas of the Hotel, including the kitchen, bottleshop and storage areas are of little or no significance.Aesthetic Value
An attractive building that forms an important landmark at the corner of Hampton and Stewart streets.
Historic Value
Scott’s Tavern was originally owned by Henry Doust and intimately linked with the agricultural function of the early settlement.
The major additions undertaken in 1902 help to illustrate the development of the town, and the increased demand for accommodation for visitors and travellers in the years after the opening of the railway line in 1898.
The place is also of some local significance for its association with two prominent local families over an extended period of time (the Doust and Scott families).
Research Value
The surrounding yard areas may be of research value showing evidence of the early structures associated with the hotel, including the external quarters and many stables.
Social Value
A notable social institution within the Bridgetown community for over a century.

Physical Description

The building has a splayed corner to the Hampton/Stewart Street intersection, which features raised pediments to the parapets with different detailing to the Stewart, Hampton and corner frontages. The locations of the original door and window openings can still be discerned, but changes have been made to the ground floor façade (including the removal of the original corner entry) and the removal of the verandahs has obscured the original architectural style. The original face brick and rendered detailing has been painted.
Renovations completed in November 2015 included converting the pool room into the lounge, the previous lounge bar into a dining room and renewing the fit out to a contemporary design. Former canvas umbrella style awnings were replaced with angled Colorbond awnings over each downstairs window of the original corner build. A matching Colorbond angled verandah has been built along the full length of the western façade of the northern wing. Raised timber decking with recycled face brick and a timber balustrading create a new sitting space under the verandah, with two sets of bi-fold doors linking to the public bar space. The original fireplace in the public bar has been restored, with a new fireplace installed in the dining room to match.


Henry Doust moved to Bridgetown after marrying his wife Elizabeth in 1872. He was a keen businessman, first taking management of John Allnutt’s ‘Kelah’ shop and residence in Hampton street and a few years later buying the land and building a general store, house premises and containing a ‘licensed premises’. According to his son’s account in the Blackwood Times in June 1950, the building was originally built as a store, however he always remembered it being a licensed premises. An early photo of the hotel with a band standing out the front, shows what appears to be the general store set back in the far left of the photo, where the main entrance to the current hotel and restaurant sits. The present building has the initials HJD and the date 1876 on the parapet, which refers to the initial establishment of the store with licenced premises on this site by Henry James Doust rather than the construction of the current two-storey building. James Scott took over the lease of the hotel c.1890. In 1908 Doust rebuilt the store and additions were made to make the current hotel as it stands today.
Mr. Doust was still the landlord of the Farmer’s Rest (otherwise known as the Farmers’ Home Hotel) in 1890, but newspaper reports confirm that the licence was taken over by James Scott in that year.
From 1893 there were separate references to Scott’s Hotel and the Farmer’s Home Hotel but, as later references to the Farmers’ Home Hotel continue to refer to Mr James Scott (and later Mrs Catherine Scott) as the proprietor, it seems likely that this was the same place.
Preparations for major additions were reported to be underway in December 1901, and these appear to have comprised a major part of the present building:
“Mr Warner, who has the contract for making the much needed additions to the Farmers' Home Hotel, was very busy measuring and taking levels, so it may be taken for granted that the building will be proceeded with at once. The plans provide for a two-storey building, at the corner of Hampton and Stuart Streets, where the billiard-room now stands. When completed the hotel will be a decided improvement to the town, and will add considerably to the accommodation for visitors which now exists.”
A photograph in the State Library of Western Australia dated c.1905, shows the current building facing the corner of Hampton and Stewart Streets, with the original two storey verandahs to both street frontages. The history of the town suggests that the major additions were a direct response to the increased demand for accommodation for visitors and travellers, in the years immediately after the opening of the railway line in 1898.
In 1915 the Farmers Home Hotel was sold under auction by Frank Chidzey, following the death of Henry Doust. At that time the one acre property (Town Lot 23) consisted of the brick, iron and stone hotel of around 30 rooms, a detached sample room (presumably for visiting salesmen) and a brick servants quarters. There was also a wooden wash house, an 8 stall stable, a 5 stall stable, harness and buggy room, loose box and a good well.
It was around that time the premises were purchased by the Scott family, who had managed the hotel since the 1890s. When Scott’s Hotel was next offered for sale in 1937 it was described as follows:
“Tenders are hereby invited by the Administrator of the Estate of the late Catherine Scott for the Purchase of the Freehold of the Hotel and Premises known as "Scott's Hotel," Bridgetown ….. The said hotel and premises include a two storey brick building containing about 31 rooms, including detached sample room and servants' quarters of brick, wooden washhouse, with bathrooms, linen presses, etc., one 8-stalled stable, 4 lock up garages, well of good water and two brick public lavatories …. The buildings have been recently repaired and renovated.”
It then came under the proprietorship of F.F. Scott, finally being transferred out of the family in 1950 when it was sold to Mr. G. Prenderville for £19,000.
The building has been altered several times, inclusive of the major extension to the Hampton Street frontage and the later removal of the original two storey verandahs.


High Integrity: Even without guest accommodation, Scott’s Tavern has high integrity as a place of social gathering with importance to the community.
Medium Authenticity: Scott’s Tavern has lost much of its external integrity with the removal of its original verandah/balcony and corner entrance, however, despite numerous alterations and additions, it retains a moderate level of authenticity.




Name Type Year From Year To
F W Steer Architect 1902 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Bunbury Herald 5/12/1901
The West Australian 6/07/1937
The West Australian 24/11/1893
Western Mail 31/12/1915
Western Mail 29/06/1950
State Library of Western Australia Online Image, Call Number 006102PD
Contemporary newspaper reports (
The West Australian 23/03/1906
The West Australian 5/02/1890
Bunbury Herald 25/01/1902

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
A4783 Assess No (Shire Ref)
No.B11 MI Place No.

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
5706 Bridgetown : a selection of historical buildings. Report 1989

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

08 Jul 1988

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

27 Apr 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.