inHerit Logo

House 390 Canning Hwy, Como


Heritage Council

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


390 Canning Hwy Como

Location Details

Local Government

South Perth



Construction Date

Constructed from 1955

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 29 Jun 2018

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

House, 390 Canning Highway, Como is a good representative example of a brick and tile residence constructed post-WWII and demonstrates the expansion of the South Perth area during the post-WWII period.


• The place is a good representative example of a brick and tile residence constructed post-WWII; and,
• The place demonstrates the expansion of the South Perth area during the post-WWII period.

Physical Description

P25999 House, 390 Canning Highway, Como comprising a single storey brick and tile residence and rear brick carport/shed, is situated on an allotment fronting Canning Highway in the Como area. The place is flanked by 1970s apartment complexes. A brick and tile carport/shed building is located to the rear, adjacent to the pedestrian walkway.
The residence comprises a red stretcher bond brick and red tile building on a limestone foundation. The front includes a central front entrance, including a painted concrete step, flanked by timber framed windows and a small verandah on the western side, of concrete floor and painted steep balustrading. The rear elevation includes a patio addition that has been enclosed with aluminium framing and sheeting.
The interior comprises the living room, including brick fireplace, and front bedroom leading from the front entry foyer. The entry foyer connects to the central hallway, which leads to all three bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen. The kitchen leads to the front dining room, which opens to the verandah on the western side, laundry and rear foyer. The rear foyer and two rear bedrooms open to the enclosed patio addition.
Interior detailing includes timber flooring throughout bedrooms, living areas, and hallways, wall and floor tiles throughout wet areas, and tiles in the kitchen. Decorative cornice, typical of the period, is locate throughout all main living areas.


In the early twentieth century, the allotment comprising the place was part of a larger 88 acre portion of land, known as Swan Location 41, owned by Robert Alston.
Throughout the 1920s, Robert Alston subdivided the land. In 1929, Thomas Ede, Accountant, purchased the land (Lot 420) comprising the place. Lot 420 was then transferred to several people throughout the next two decades, but remained undeveloped. Searches of the post office directory also suggested that no one was living at the property prior to House, 390 Canning Highway, Como.
Following the limited growth in the State during the war and Depression years, the post-war period brought with it a population boom associated with the Soldier Settlement Scheme. The South Perth area, including Como, benefited from construction programs connected with the War Service Homes and State Housing Commission schemes. P25999 House, 390 Canning Highway, Como was built privately and was not associated with these schemes.
Between 1953 and 1965, aerial imagery shows that the current house had been built, which also included a rear access brick and tile building. Given surrounding development of the area, the current building was probably erected by 1955.
Despite much of the residential development for this period in the area being associated with the State Housing Commission schemes of accessible housing, no evidence suggested that House, 390 Canning Highway, Como was erected as a result of these schemes. However, the place is likely to be a representative example of the type of housing erected during the period.
In c.1970, the rear porch was enclosed with aluminium framing.
In c.1990, the kitchen was upgraded, but the original stove alcove remains.
By c.2001, aerial imagery shows that most of the brick and tile building to the rear of the place had been demolished. A small brick and tile carport/shed still remains. No other major modifications have been completed to the exterior.
The place is currently (2018) vacant and is marked for demolition in preparation for widening of Canning Highway.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles


Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Other Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Creation Date

23 May 2018

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

13 Jul 2022


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.