inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


42 Holland St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1919

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Physical Description

House, 42 Holland Street is a single storey brick and Zincalume house constructed as a simple variation of the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are rendered painted brick. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with Zincalume. There is a brick chimney with two chimney pots evident. The front façade features timber framed sash windows. The verandah is under a small gable and is supported by timber posts, with a timber balustrade. There is a low limestone fence to the front boundary line.


Lot 979, the land on which house 42 Holland Street is located was first owned by Sir Henry Briggs. Briggs (b.1844 d.1919) was born in Kettering, Northamptonshire England and was the first headmaster of Fremantle Grammar School from 1882 – 1897. He was also secretary of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce, a J P, a trustee of the Western Australian Public Library and Art Gallery and from 1906 – 1909 President of the Legislative Council. He was knighted in 1916.

In 1919/20 a cottage had been built and James Forbes was the owner/occupier. Forbes lived there until the mid to late 1930s when the Tugby family became the next owners/occupiers. From the 1960s to the late 1990s, the Cappa family were the owner/occupiers.

The house was originally number 49 and became number 42 when the whole street was renumbered in 1937.
The 1914 Sewerage Plan (No 2033) shows the faint outline of the house only. It has a verandah along the front and east side, and a small projecting bay to the front.
Aerial photos show that between 1995 and 1999 the house was reroofed and extended to the rear. Between 2000 and 2004 the large lot was subdivided, and a house on the east side (44) and two at the rear (42a and 44a) have been built. A carport/garage was built on the west side.


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Zincalume
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

07 Aug 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.