inHerit Logo



Shire of Mundaring

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


2075 Jacoby St Mundaring

Location Details

Other Name(s)


Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1913

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2016
State Register Registered 07 Sep 2007 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Apr 1997 1 - Exceptional significance

1 - Exceptional significance

Rare or outstanding example; essential to the heritage of the locality Expectations: The place should be retained and conserved. Any alterations or extensions should reinforce the significance of the place and be in accordance with a Conservation Plan if one is in place.

Classified by the National Trust Classified 01 May 1995

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

"Ballindown /Faversham" has very high social and historic significance for:
• its associations with a prominent local and State recognised person in Alexander McCallum;
• as a reminder of how the hills developed as a holiday destination for the wealthy;
• as an example of a hills retreat built for the wealthy at the turn of the century and of which there are few remaining examples with such integrity (scarcity value);
• as one of the most significant private houses built in Mundaring especially at that time;
• and as an example of the adaptive use of large residences as convalescent homes which were formerly an important part of post hospital care; and more recently for bed and breakfast accommodation.

Physical Description

"Ballindown" sits among large trees and landscaped gardens of Jacoby Street in the western outskirts of the Mundaring townsite. Building son the site include the main residence, servants quarters, stables and loft. A former head gardener's cottage, now a separate property was also built on the northern side of the 5 acre property fronting Great Eastern highway.
The main residence is a large rambling house using an eclectic but unified combination of materials and 'federation' styling. A large hipped corrugated iron/zincalume roof encompasses the main residence with it's surrounding wide, timber floor boarded verandahs. The walls of the house are local laterite stone on the western half and weatherboard on the east. Whether this is indicative of the house being built on stages has not yet been determined. French doors open out onto the verandahs and the entry door and sidelights have leadlight stained glass with a floral motif which is also carried through onto other windows and doors. The entry leads to central hall which has a coloured glass roof light ceiling. Off the entry tot he east is a large living/dining room in the weatherboard section of the house. It has decorative lath plaster vaulted ceilings with ribbed mouldings and ceiling roses. Detailing throughout the house is of a consistently high standard with moulded timber skirtings, architraves and Art Nouveau door furniture.
The servants quarters tot e rear of the main residence are of matching style with stone walls and brick quoins but instead of verandahs there are decorative timber window canopies and entry porches. The quarters have now been converted to a bed and breakfast type accommodation. The stables, barn and loft are separated somewhat tot he north-east of the residence and are of weatherboard and corrugated iron construction.


Coach-builder and ironmonger Alexander McCallum, who came here from South Australia in 1895, built "Ballindown" at Mundaring as a weekender for himself and wife Rosa. At the same time, they retained a house in Beach Street, Cottesloe. Title deed information indicates that the 8-acre lot on which "Ballindown" was built was first purchased by George Rae in 1911, and sold later that year to Rosa McCallum. In 1913, the McCallums purchased Lot 65 on the eastern side of their property, and it is likely that the house dates from about this time. Although the McCallums used "Ballindown" as a weekender and were away overseas every winter, they still actively participated in the local community. Alex McCallum was patron of many sporting teams, including the local cricket club. They were benefactors of the 1914 Anglican Church of the Epiphany (Site 48), and it has been suggested that the stonemasons employed by McCallum to build parts of his house were responsible for the church. As well as being the first person in Mundaring with a motor car and a home lighting plant, McCallum was an Administrator of the World War I Trench Comforts Fund. To the delight of local children, he was also the annual "Father Christmas".
During their time at Ballindown, the McCallums also added a billiard room, servant's quarters and close to the York Road (Great Eastern Highway), a gardener's cottage (Site 24). McCallum's gardener, Mr. Atkinson, a local orchardist, supervised the property in their absence and is reputed to have looked after his employer's donated roses at the Mundaring War Memorial (Site 42).
In 1941, when McCallum died, Rosa sold the property, and in 1948, it was purchased by the Monger sisters from York who re-named it "Faversham", after their family's home. After making some alterations to the veranda and billiard room, Ethel, Norma and Eileen Monger operated "Faversham" as a convalescent home for short stay patients who had been discharged from hospital. In c. 1968, when the Lenegens purchased "Faversham" they continued the convalescent home.
In 1970, the Wilkinson-Cox family re-named the property "Ballindown" and restored the house as a family home and altered the outbuildings. When the Wiltshires purchased the property in June 1993, they re-used the name "Faversham" At present "Faversham" is a family home, with overnight guest accommodation.


Integrity: Very High
Modifications: Verandahs added 1948 and various internal modifications over the years.


Very Good


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
I Elliot; ibid pp. 123-124
MHHS File; "Mundaring".
F Bush; " National Trust Assessment of Faversham" National Trust of Australia (WA) Feb 1995

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
7022 Images CD No. 26 : assessment images : Mundaring Hotel, Temuka, Faversham, Armadale Brickworks (fmr). C D Rom 2004

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Other Use RESIDENTIAL Conjoined residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Other Use RESIDENTIAL Institutional Housing
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Wall STONE Laterite
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism
OCCUPATIONS Domestic activities
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

14 Nov 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

10 Feb 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.