inHerit Logo

Roman Catholic Church Group, Toodyay


Heritage Council

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


32-34 Stirling Tce Toodyay

Location Details

Comprises St Aloysius Convent of Mercy (fmr), St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Boys Boarding House, St Aloysius Convent of Mercy Classrooms and Girls Boarding House, Dr Growse’s House (fmr), The Old Presbytery and St John the Baptist Church (1963). Now used by Franscian Monks.

Other Name(s)

Franciscan Monastery
Sisters of Mercy Convent School
St Aloysius Convent

Local Government



Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1884, Constructed from 1860

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Registered 26 Aug 2019 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Catholic Church Inventory Adopted 01 Jul 1998

Classified by the National Trust Recorded 07 Jun 1977

Classified by the National Trust Classified 08 Jun 2015

Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance; provide an appropriate level of recognition and protection. Recommend that maximum encouragement is provided to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Nomination to the National Trust Classified List is recommended, to afford protection by means of moral persuasion. (TPS also relevant).

Shire of Toodyay




Name Type Year From Year To
Edgar Le B Henderson (O'Connor House) Architect 1928 -
Summerhayes & Associates (new St John the Baptist Church) Architect 1963 -
Henderson & Jefferis (Mercy House) - Edgar Jerome Henderson Architect 1903 -
J.D. Saunders (St Aloysius Building) Architect 1921 -
Ron Hawkins (renovations throughout esp 'The Ship') Architect 1986 1987

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9190 Avondown Centre, Toodyay. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2003

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Housing or Quarters
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Architectural Styles

Victorian Georgian
Federation Arts and Crafts
Federation Queen Anne
Inter-War Georgian Revival

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Roof TILE Ceramic Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science
OCCUPATIONS Domestic activities

Creation Date

03 Aug 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.