inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.



Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Physical Description

Single storey limestone house with brick quoining to doors and windows and a Zincalume gable roof with decorative timber finial. There is a bull nosed verandah which returns down the sides and is supported by timber posts between timber balustrading. There is a rendered retaining wall to the front boundary. Nos. 14 and 16 are very similar in form and materials.


The house is first listed in post office directories in 1903 with John Weir as the occupant. From 1904 to c1929 Charles Leunig, Builder and Contractor was the main occupant.
The house was allocated No. 29 in 1905, and became number 16 when the whole street was renumbered in 1937.
A 1913 plan (PWD 13017) and the 1914 Sewerage Plan (No 2033) show that No. 16 is a large stone house with a verandah that runs along the front and wraps around the east side and with its entrance via steps to the verandah at the east side. There was also a verandah at the rear. There is a galvanised iron outbuilding on the west side at the back, and then a retaining wall. Steps lead through the centre to another part of the yard where there is a wc and a timber outbuilding in the back north west corner of the lot.
A long-term resident was Oscar F. E. Stack who lived there from 1927 to at least 1949 (when post office directory records cease).
Aerial photos show that the house has been extended at the rear since the 1970s, and re-roofed in the early 1980s, except for the verandah roof.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Zincalume
Wall STONE Limestone
Wall BRICK Face Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

19 Mar 2019

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.