Local Government
Albany
Region
Great Southern
24-32 Drew St Seppings
Lots 107 & 108 on DP3951
Albany
Great Southern
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
Heritage List | Adopted | 27 Oct 2020 |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
RHP - Does not warrant assessment | Current | 09 Dec 2011 |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Local Heritage Survey | Adopted | 27 Oct 2020 | Considerable |
Tree
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | OTHER | Other |
Present Use | OTHER | Other |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.
The Oak Trees at 24-32 Drew Street have cultural heritage significance of the following reasons: They represent one of the oldest specimens of oak tree (Quercus robus and pendunculata) in Albany and the only stand of oak trees as opposed to other historic and individual specimens in Albany. They connect to the early colonial settlement and development of the area on the eastern slopes of Strawberry Hill which grew in earnest from the 1880s and 1890s, and in particular the original Mira Mar estate. The trees reflect the fashion and sentiments of the early European settlers and travellers of the Victorian period from the United Kingdom who settled in Albany and brought plants from both the UK and other parts of the world with them and which were often favoured above the indigenous flora.
Some of the notable features of this place include: • Line of 12 trees set close to the road • Mature example of exotic species Quercus robus and pendunculata Some modifications of this place include: • There may have been more oak trees of which these 12 are the remnants of a more substantial planting
This row of oak trees (Quercus robus and pendunculata) were once part of the Mira Mar Estate established by Alfred Edward Morgans in the 1890s and situated on the eastern slopes of Strawberry Hill. Morgans, a prominent mining engineer and investor, arrived in WA in 1894 to work on the Goldfields. Originally from Wales, Morgans is most famously known for establishing the Westralia Mount Morgans mine. However, Morgans was also involved in local and State politics and also became a well-known public figure as the shortest ever serving Premier of WA – holding the position for only 1 month in 1901. Morgans purchased land in Albany in 1896 on which to establish a summer residence, as a retreat from the Goldfields. Morgans likely purchased the land from a Mr Lawson, who arrived in Albany in c1888 and purchased a large land holding on the eastern slopes of Strawberry Hill around Lake Sepping and down toward Middleton Beach. Morgans named his estate - with its fine views over Middleton Beach and Lake Sepping - Mira Mere (after the Emperor’s palace in Mexico where he had worked before coming to WA) which means “behold the sea”. The name was later changed to Mira Mar. In 1897, Albert Coombs was employed by Morgans as head gardener to lay out the gardens and lawns. The estate had a huge aviary and an extensive orchard, and was stocked with pigs and ducks, but its main feature was a deer park. Mira Mar was ready by 1902 for Morgans and his family to stay. In 1905, Albany suburban lots 393, 394 & 395 was officially granted in 1905 to Morgans and shortly after the Certificate of Title was issued. [GT24-10, CT 347/28] This is the parcel of land on which the oak trees are specifically located. There was a carriage drive on eastern slope from the homestead residence to the stables, and it is possible that the oaks lined the drive. If not planted by Morgans (by his gardener Coombs), they may have been planted by the previous owner, Lawson, as a boundary to his property or for a carriage drive. In 1922 the Title for Lots 393, 394 and 395 was transferred to James Gilmour Cosh, then Percy Lambert and G. H. Green purchased the property in 1923. In 1927, Mr Harold Whitford purchased Mira Mar which then comprised 140 acres. [CT 347/28] It was noted in an article on Whitford’s property in the Albany Advertiser in 1929 that the piggery was located next to ‘…rows of venerable oaks making an ideal break from the weather, and incidentally yielding a prolific crop of acorns for which the pigs show a decided partiality’. The oaks mentioned are these ones still extant. [Albany Advertiser 21/5/1929]. It is not known if there were more oak trees than what is represented today. Whitford went on to purchase even more parcels of land for his extensive farming of livestock, pasture and food crops, extending the size of the Mira Mar estate. (Some of this land was once part of the Bird’s property of Old Farm on Strawberry Hill.) In the 1930s Mira Mar leased to Higginson and Walker who ran a dairy. During the years 1937 to 1946, the land on the eastern slopes of Strawberry Hill, which would have included Morgans original estate, was purchased and subvdivided by Charles James Rawlings and the suburb was named Mira Mar. In 1953, an acorn from one of the Drew Street oak trees was planted in the front garden of the “Greystone” residence (161 Serpentine Road). From c1964 to c2015, the owner of the land on which the 12 (remaining) oaks trees (mentioned in the Whitford article above) were located was Peter Briscoe although he never lived on the property. The property was known as “The Oaks” after the oak trees which had become a local landmark. In 1972, the Albany Town Council was contemplating purchase of the land on which the oaks were located. This proposition came about mainly over concern over the future preservation of the oak trees however it was decided not to purchase but the Council requested that Briscoe ensure the preservation of the oak trees. [Albany Advertiser 20/9/1972] There have been many other suppositions and stories about who planted the oak trees and how old they are. Some stories suggest that they were planted by Major Edmund Lockyer who, it was recorded, walked the eastern slopes of Strawberry Hill soon after his arrival in Albany in 1826, and selected this area for his summer garden due to its natural fertility and groundwater resources. Other stories allude to Charles Darwin planting them when he visited Albany in 1836 for little just over a week, or that the trees formed an Avenue of Honour. None of these stories can be ratified by documentary evidence, and physical evidence would suggest they date to c1880s. The oak tree between Norman House and Cheynes’ Stable on Stirling Tce is dated to c1850s and is reputed to be the oldest oak tree in Albany.
Integrity: Moderate/Low Authenticity: High/Moderate
Good
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
Albany Advertiser 21 May 1929 p. 2 | Albany Advertiser | Albany Advertiser | 21 May 1929 |
Albany Advertiser 20 September 1972 | Albany Advertiser | Albany Advertiser | 20 September 1972 |
347/28 | Certificate of Title |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.
Lake Seppings Drive Seppings
Lake Seppings (R1299 R22058 R29167 R23775) Lake Seppings Drive Seppings
Lake Seppings Nature Reserve
Albany
Great Southern
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
Heritage List | Adopted | 27 Oct 2020 |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Local Heritage Survey | Adopted | 27 Oct 2020 | Exceptional |
Large Conservation Region
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Other Use | SCIENTIFIC | Other |
Other Use | SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL | Other |
Present Use | PARK\RESERVE | Park\Reserve |
Original Use | OTHER | Other |
Original Use | PARK\RESERVE | Park\Reserve |
General | Specific |
---|---|
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY | Environmental change |
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY | Resource exploitation & depletion |
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY | Land allocation & subdivision |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.
Tjuirtgellong/Lake Seppings has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons: The lake is highly valued by the local Menang people, named Tjuirtgellong which means "The place of the long-necked tortoise" which still remain very prolific in the lake, and also the Dreamtime connection of the lake as the footprint of Tjuirt (Djrat) – or the place where he walked - who created the South Western Coast of Australia. The lake contains an important population of bird species, particularly water birds. Its significance as an important lake was recognised from the earliest days of British colonisation, having been giving its Anglicized name by Major Edmund Lockyer after his own cousins. The reserve and lake are highly valued by the local community and visitors for its beauty and significant flora and fauna and as a place for birdwatching and passive recreation.
The lake is situated in the Tjuitgellong/Lake Seppings nature reserve that has a total area of 17.1 hectares Some of the notable features of this place include: • The lake is named Tjuitgellong by local Menang peoples which means "The place of the long-necked tortoise" which still remain very prolific in the lake. Other meanings also include the place where Tjuirt (djarat) walked or his footprint (the lake being like the shape of a foot). • Bird watching, especially water-birds, with over 100 different species of birds recorded within the reserve. • Natural flora and fauna Some modifications of this place include: • Construction of boardwalks, pathways, bird hides • Modifications to plantings
Tjuitgellong is a freshwater lake. However, at one time, many thousands of years ago, the water level of the lake was a lot lower and even joined Miaritch/Oyster Harbour to the ocean at Binalup/Middleton Beach. This would explain why when the French visited the area in the early 1800s, the water in the lake was said to be salty to the taste. One meaning of the Menang name for the lake, Tjuirtgellong, is "The place of the long-necked tortoise" which still remain very prolific in the lake. Each year they cross the main Golf links road to breed and lay their eggs in the Golf Course. The local Menang people also believe the lake is the footprint of Tjuirt (djarat) who in their Dreamtime created the South Western Coast of Australia. The lake was named Lake Seppings by Major Edmund Lockyer in 1827 to honour his cousins, Sir Robert and John Milligen Seppings and appears on the earliest townsite maps. In 1888, the Albany Council applied for the reservation of land from the shore of Tjuitgellong/Lake Seppings for the purpose of a botanical garden. The final reservation included 185 acres for the botanic garden and 65 acres for public utility. In 1900 both reserves were amended and set apart for park lands and when amalgamated the following year were gazetted as a Park comprising 255 acres. The reserve was named Albany Park and was placed in the charge of the Albany Park Board. A beautification program around the perimeter of the lake was commenced to turn it into a pleasure resort. However, possibly owing to lack of government funding, the program did not progress very far and by the 1920s/30s whatever had been done had overgrown and the area was described as surrounded by scrub and reeds. Since the 19th century and into the middle of the 20th century (particularly during the 1930s by the Albany Tunny and Angling Club and the W.A. Fish and Game Society), the lake was stocked with eels and trout and other fish for the purposes of recreational fishing/angling. By 1970 the reserve was in a poor state and undervalued having become not much more than a rubbish tip. The Department of Fisheries and Fauna recommended it become a waterfowl reserve and the Albany Council investigated discharging sewage into it. In 1981 the Apex Club started work on improvements to the reserve including constructing a board walk which was completed by 2004. Today Tjuitgellong/Lake Seppings is highly regarded for its flora and fauna. It has a rich variety of vegetation and is surrounded by a mixture of bullrushes, and reeds. The trees are a mixture of Myrtaceae: West Australian Peppermint trees, Spearwoods, Paperbarks, Native Willows and Wattles, as well as Banksias. Compacted gravel footpaths, wooden walkways are provided for visitors. It is particularly well known as a place for bird watching, especially water-birds, with over 100 different species of birds recorded. A wooden bird watching platform has been built along the western side of the lake.
Integrity: High/Moderate Authenticity: Moderate
Good
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
Schedule of Places of Heritage Value, Appendix VIII, City of Albany TPS 1A | City of Albany | 30 December 1983 |
Reserve | Lot/Location | Plan/Diagram | Vol/Folio |
---|---|---|---|
R23775 | |||
R1299 | |||
R29167 | |||
R22058 |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.