Local Government
Irwin
Region
Midwest
12 Hunts Rd Dongara
Delmage's House
Irwin
Midwest
Constructed from 1885
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 10 Mar 1998 | Category 2 | |
Classified by the National Trust | Classified | 05 Sep 1983 | ||
Register of the National Estate | Indicative Place | |||
Register of the National Estate | Nominated | 02 Nov 1983 |
18626 Dongara Townsite
The house known as 'Delmage's' has high historic significance for its connection with James Delmage, a well known local identity. In addition the two storey style and garden setting gives the place aesthetic significance. The place makes a high contribution to the historic character of the town. RECOMMENDATION The Uniting Church should be considered for Inclusion in a 'Central Dongara Heritage Precinct' with development considerations made accordingly.
1996 Located on the banks of the Irwin River, this two storey limestone house is similar in construction to the former Schoolmaster's House (Place No. 14). The front of the building has been rendered, the sides are exposed random rubble. The hipped tiled roof extends to form the balcony roof. The two storey verandah is supported by timber posts, fibro infill has been used below the balustrade to the upper balcony. French doors open to the front verandah. There is a rear extension with a lean-to roof. The place had the front two storey verandah reconstructed in about 1994. 2004 The place has been maintained by the owners, fibro infill below upper balustrade has been replaced by balusters.
This two storey house was built in about 1885 for James Delmage. He came to Dongara about 1880. He lived at first in the small cottage (Kendrick's House, Place No. 28) and operated a blacksmith's shop which was sited on the corner of Moreton Terrace and Martin Street (where Dongara Hardware now stands). From 1903 to 1918 he was President of the Irwin District Roads Board. This house was noted for its extensive gardens and lawn tennis court. Delmage had the first private telephone connection in Dongara between this house and his shop. (Source: Jean Thurkle). The house was built to the same plan as the former Schoolmaster's House (Place No. 14) on Waldeck Street.
Integrity: High
Good
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
R Bunney & K Ellery; "Dongara 1839-197-". | |||
HCWA Database No. 1223 | State Office of Heritage | ||
IDHS Records | |||
AHC Reference 009649 01-02 | Australian Heritage Commission |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | RESIDENTIAL | Two storey residence |
Present Use | RESIDENTIAL | Two storey residence |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Wall | STONE | Limestone |
Roof | TILE | Terracotta Tile |
General | Specific |
---|---|
PEOPLE | Local heroes & battlers |
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY | Land allocation & subdivision |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.