Beaufort Shearing Shed

Author

Shire of Woodanilling

Place Number

23529

Location

Ways Rd Beaufort River

Location Details

Local Government

Woodanilling

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Mar 2003 Category 3

Statement of Significance

The building is important for its connection with the first European settlement of the area and for its association with pioneering families. The building is a fine example of the style, construction methods and use of building materials in this period.

Physical Description

Located about 1km North West of the homestead, west of the creek which supplies the homestead. The first building was of stone with brick corners and door. The northern end was the wool room which was enclosed except for access to the shearing board and an outer door through which to load the wool bales. The original eastern wall has been removed. The shearing board is the traditional long board (shearer's catching across the board) and a six stand overhead plant. Portion of the original stone wall on the west was removed with the installation of the shearing plant. Modifications have been extensive to give greater sheep holding capacity and for wool storage. In 1913 the precinct was described in the Cyclopaedia of Western Australia: "The Beaufort homestead was typical of the old established country home of superior class. The ten rooms had the greatest possible comfort and possessed home like graces and there are few to equal it in the countryside. The outbuildings - woolshed, machinery shelters and stables are in scale and are equal to those erected in the old countries with many centuries of civilisation. "

History

In addition to his extensive pastoral lease holding, in 1875 Cornwall had 10,000 acres at the Beaufort, another 10,000 adjoining encompassing Queerarrup and a further 50,000 acres in the Lakes area. Cornwall was extending his freehold areas - from the 600 acres surveyed in 1862, plus another 400 acres in 1868 and a further 220 acres in 1878. Cornwall had extensive flocks of sheep and these were sought after as a nucleus for the new farmer's flocks. It is said that he went to the Eastern States and selected sheep from MacArthur's flocks and brought them to the Beaufort. In the early days shepherds cared for their flocks roaming with them to avoid poison plants and water them at springs or the river pools. Cornwall brought the first fencing to the district. It was 8 gauge high tensile wire, the early contractors who had never used wire disliked it as it was difficult to handle and made their hands very sore.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Photos: 12/1; "Round Poolt to Woodaniling" p 26(map) 1985

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Shed or Barn

Creation Date

12 Aug 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.