Local Government
Woodanilling
Region
Great Southern
unknown Beaufort River
Woodanilling
Great Southern
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 18 Mar 2003 | Category 4 |
The site is closely associated with the provision of schooling in the district.
Cleared ground with two large pines on the western side. A plaque attached to granite marks the southern boundary of the five acre reserve. On the north west is the salt flats merging east into bulloaks on the Beaufort River Flats. Access to the school from the west was via a surveyed road which crossed the river at the north end of Wandibirrup Pool.
The Dowlering School, was originally built on the site reserved on Kojonup Location 1507 in May 1912 but after a protest by the Perfect and Douglas families, it was shifted to this site. Here it was officially opened by Eva Sheridan on April 13, 1913. The original application in 1910 for a school on the Beaufort contained the names of nine families. Of these Cornwall, George Church and Carder had no children and another two families - Eattes (four children) and Sullivan (1), also lived west of the Albany Road and it is doubtful if they ever attended the Dowlering School. However, the Perfects' (two children), Cavanaghs (5), Douglas' (5) and RendelPs (4) provided enough numbers for a school to be built. School sites were very flexible and as the children grew too old or families like Rendell left, the building was quickly shifted to another area of need. By 1918 numbers here had diminished with two of the former pupils EA (Gus) Cavanagh and Norman Perfect, now grown men at the war front and the building was shifted first to Westwood and then to Boyerine and currently is at the Wagin Historical Village. One of the problems of selecting land in the outer areas was of schooling for children. The Douglas families were in this situation. Some of the children stayed with relations during the week so as to attend school, Jean Douglas and her twin brothers, Ken and Keith, and their cousin, Fred, attended Dowlering School from Harry Douglas' house. This must have been a successful arrangement as young Fred Douglas received a certificate for regular attendance in 1914. EC Leggoe's family had lived in Woodanilling to attend the local school. However, in 1917 he applied to have the Dowlering School shifted to the 14 mile hill on Robinson Road. This application was approved and when tenders were called to remove the school a protest by parents of children already going to the Dowlering School succeeded in halting action. They reasoned that the Leggoe children were already attending Woodanilling School and were not intending to live at Kunmallup until September 1917 when the alterations to the homestead would be completed.
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
Woodanilling Pioneer Heritage Trail Brochure site no. 12 | |||
John Bird Round Pool to Woodanilling p 265 | 1985 |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | EDUCATIONAL | Combined School |
General | Specific |
---|---|
OTHER | Other Sub-Theme |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.