Local Government
Sandstone
Region
Midwest
173-5 Griffith St Sandstone
Cnr Oroya St
Sandstone Primary School
Sandstone
Midwest
Constructed from 1908
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 25 Jun 1997 | Category 2 |
Over the years the place has had high social significance for its association with law and order, education and health in the district. In addition the building, which is one of the largest buildings in the town, has high streetscape value as it is prominently positioned at the entrance to the town. The design of the building is evidence of its importance to the town.
The building is of double brick construction with a corrugated iron roof. It features verandahs to all sides and air vents to the roof. The roof is supported on thin metal posts and features a louvred gablet and a tall brick corbelled chimney. Windows are timber framed and double hung. The building is surrounded by an iron pole and mesh fence. The building shares characteristics with the Post Office (Place 3) and the National Hotel (Place 10) such as the brick construction, the corbelled chimneys, and the air vents.
In March 1908 E. Coombe was announced as the successful contractor to build the Warden's Court at a cost of 1,500 pounds. Built from bricks made at the local brickworks, The Black Range Courier described the building in June 1908: "Built in bungalow style, the new structure is certainly not of an imposing character and it is a pity the walls and roof were not several feet higher as the building presents a very "squat" appearance now. But it will be a vast improvement on the accommodation provided in the past, more especially the tent which did duty at Sandstone for six months." (26/6/1908, p.2) This tent structure had been removed from the Nungarra Townsite for use in Sandstone on Lot 31. The building was opened on Tuesday, 11 August, 1908 by Mr A.G. Clifton, Resident Magistrate. (The Black Range Courier, 14/8/1908, p.2) In 1923 the building was used as the State School and in the 1950s a nursing post was established there. The building was also used as the rooms for the C.W.A. which was established in 1948. At present the place remains the Sandstone Primary School and still functions as a nursing post in conjunction with the Royal Flying Doctors.
Integrity: Medium Degree
Good
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Present Use | EDUCATIONAL | Primary School |
Original Use | GOVERNMENTAL | Courthouse |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Wall | BRICK | Common Brick |
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
General | Specific |
---|---|
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES | Law & order |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.