Local Government
Subiaco
Region
Metropolitan
Cnr Barker Rd & Railway Pde Subiaco
Address includes: 121 Railway Rd & 374 Bagot Rd, Subiaco. 374 Bagot Road
Agnes Walsh Nurses Home
Carson House
Harvey House
Industrial School
Main Entry Block
Subiaco
Metropolitan
Constructed from 1896, Constructed from 1952
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
Heritage List | Adopted | 24 Jul 2014 | |
State Register | Registered | 20 Dec 2002 | HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Register of the National Estate | Permanent | 18 Apr 1989 | ||
Classified by the National Trust | Classified | 11 May 1981 | ||
Survey of 20th Ctry Architecture | Completed | 01 Mar 1988 | ||
Other Legal Agreement | Completed | 02 Oct 2002 | ||
Survey of Women's Employment AHC | Recorded | 01 Sep 2002 | ||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 24 Sep 2002 | Exceptional Significance (Level 1) |
Refer to HCWA's Assessment Documentation of Places for Entry in the Register of Heritage Places.
The group of four buildings demonstrates the changing architectural influences on public works from 1896 to 1952. Each building has architectural significance, and is an important element of the townscape. The former Industrial School (1896) is a good example of the Federation Romanesque revival style, with a large central arched entrance between domed turrets under a stone pediment. Carson House (1922-28) was originally one storey. It was later extended to become a two storey load bearing brick building of simple form with a terracotta tiled roof. Constructed of simple materials of brick and render walling between full height door and window openings and a tiled roof. The deep double height verandahs on all sides with shingled valance/bressumer with inset timber balustading unify the building. The paired verandah posts make it a late example of Arts and Crafts style. Overall the building reflects the influence of Californian Bungalow style. Main Entry Block (1939) is an interwar functionalist style, with brown and cream brickwork and cream and green terracotta tiling, in a symmetrical form with rounded corners and horizontal emphasis, characteristic of the style. The central entry features a two storied tiled frame surmounted by a tiled plaque in an art deco style with elaborate brickwork detail. Agnes Walsh Nurse's Home (1952) is a six storey brick building in a post war international style, constructed of reinforced concrete frame with exposed brick walls, plain smooth walls of contrasting textures, non-rectangular shapes constrasted with rectangular, cubiform shape clad with curtain walls, vertical sliding timber windows, spaced to express the building's residential function, and a flat insulated roof. It reflects the economic climate of the post war recovery and the resulting simplified forms of the international modern architectural movement. Influence of Dutch architect Dudok can be clearly seen in the facade treatment, via the band of dark brickwork across the lower floor. There is a free form single storey recreation wing located to the south of the main block. For more detail refer to HCWA's Assessment Documentation of Places for Entry in the Register of Heritage Places. (Ref: HCWA & AHC assessment documentation.)
A group of four buildings which each represent a major stage in the development of the King Edward Memorial Hospital from 1896 to 1952. The former Industrial School (1896) was a reformatory for delinquent and destitute children, designed by Robert Haddon (later prominent in Melbourne) under George Temple Poole, PWD Chief Architect. Additions were carried out in 1898, 1901and 1913. It was converted to become the State's first public maternity hospital, KEMH, in 1916, after much public campaigning. Edith Cowan (1861-1932) was a leading member of the committee to establish the hospital. When the Main Entry Block was built (1939) the fmr Industrial School became the Ante-natal clinic. In 1949 it was renamed Harvey House, in honour of a fmr matron. Since 1988 it has been a Medical Museum. Carson House (1922-28) was designed by W B Hardwick and built by Todd Brothers. It was originally a nurse's quarters, a new labour ward and theatre (ground floor). Additions were carried out in 1926 (ante-natal and post-natal clinics) attached to the original stone building with a covered walkway, and a second storey in 1927/28 (medical officers' quarters) to the stone building. However, the hospital was still in need of more room. The Main Entry Block (1939) was built to a design by PWD Architect A E Clare. It changed the layout of the hospital by changing the main entry from Barker Road to Bagot Road. Agnes Walsh Nurse's Home (formerly 'Nurses Quarters') (1952) was designed by PWD Architect Gordon W Finn under A E Clare. Finn was one of the main exponents of the introduction of the International style of architecture in WA during the 1940s and 1950s, after travels overseas. The building was officially opened on 15 January 1953 by Hon. Dame Florence Cardell-Oliver OBE MLA. The building was the recipient of 1955 Royal Institute of British Architects Bronze Medal. The building was renamed in 1971, in honour of Matron Agnes Walsh OBE, matron of KEMH from 1922 to 1954. The Main Building was extended in 1962. For more detail refer to HCWA's Assessment Documentation of Places for Entry in the Register of Heritage Places. (Ref: HCWA & AHC assessment documentation.) The area of West Subiaco developed primarily as residential from the early 1900s. Most of the main roads were gazetted by 1883, but were unsealed until the 1900s. Derby Road was named after Lord Derby, Secretary for Colonies. Hensman Road was named after Mr A P Hensman, Judge and Attorney General. The first houses were established in streets closest to the commercial area along Hay Street and Rokeby Road, and the area west of the civic square, including Barker, Bagot, Hensman, Douglas, Lawler, Loretto, Raphael, Denis and Rowland Streets. Another early subdivision was located along Rokeby Road, and included Rawson, Campbell, Coolgardie, Duke, and Union Streets. Most of the West Subiaco precinct was developed by 1915, with the most recent houses to be built by c1925 in the south west corner. Two land releases, called Redfern Estates No. 1 and No. 2, were situated along the railway line opposite the new suburb of Daglish. Early public buildings in the West Subiaco precinct included the Industrial School on Barker Road (1897), later converted into King Edward Memorial Hospital in 1916. (Sources: Wise's Post Office Directory 1905-1925; Real Estate Maps, Battye Library Collection; Spillman, Ken, Identity Prized: A History of Subiaco, City of Subiaco, UWA Press, 1985; Chate, A, H., History of Subiaco, c1952.)
High degree of integrity.
Library Id | Title | Medium | Year Of Publication |
---|---|---|---|
5583 | Radio communications facilities King Edward Memorial Hospital : application for development approval (final). | Report | 2002 |
6379 | High hopes. | Book | 2003 |
10198 | G.W.Finn: architectural photographs and projects | Book | 1995 |
11855 | King Edward Memorial Hospital A Block - Lifts | Archival Record | 2021 |
6082 | King Edward Memorial Hospital : heritage impact. | C D Rom | 2002 |
8065 | A chain of care : a history of the Silver Chain Nursing Association 1905 - 2005. | Book | 2005 |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.