Local Government
Bruce Rock
Region
Wheatbelt
Johnson St Bruce Rock
Site of Duggan's Store
Site of first Post Office
Bruce Rock
Wheatbelt
Constructed from 1929
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 11 Sep 1997 | Category 3 |
The site demonstrates associations with the beginnings of commerce and communication in the town of Bruce Rock. The site and place demonstrate associations with pioneers of the district. The place represents associations with the Co-op concept and the community of Bruce Rock. It represents a way of life no longer practised. The place is a fine example of the period by an architect of repute. It makes a significant contribution to the streetscape of the main street and the townscape character of Bruce Rock.
The brick rendered construction with a gable corrugated roof comprises three separate shop fronts. The facde above the canopy is a stepped parapet with geometric decorative detail and the Co-op name embossed in the render. Many internal alterations have taken place, including the removal of walls between the three shops. The shop fronts have been refurbished with aluminium framed glazing and doors.
WH Duggan ran the original store and Post Office on this site. It was the first store in Bruce Rock. The Post Office operated from a small weatherboard room on the southern side of the store. Duggan ran the POst Office and HJ Barry, a sixteen year old postal assistant, came from Doodlakine fortnightly to sort the Bruce Rock mail. Pritchard had the contract to deliver mail which he did in his Model T Ford. In 1917 WN Hedges established a private phone line from his Koolberin Homestead to the Bruce Rock Railway Station and then connecting to the then unofficial post office at Duggan's store. The official post office commenced on 31st October 1919 in Bruce Rock, operated by Claude Thompson, in the room on the side of Duggan's store. The Bruce Rock Post Office operated from that site until a purpose built Post Office opened in 1922. The Bruce Rock District Famer's Co-operative took over Duggan's store. In February 1928, a fire destroyed the Co-op and 2 other shops. A new building was constructed, replacing the 3 former stores on that site adn business continued. Later the business became insolvent and Fuchsbichler, a farmer, took over the property. Three separate businesses currently operate from the shops.
Integrity: Intact or Redeemable Authenticity: Medium Degree
Good
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
A Lovell;"Bruce Rock, A Revised History". | Shire of Bruce Rock | 1993 | |
JK Ewers;"Bruce Rock, The story of a District". | Bruce Rock Roads Board | 1959 |
Library Id | Title | Medium | Year Of Publication |
---|---|---|---|
11716 | Let our Co-operative spirit stand: A centenary history of resilience and adaptation in the Co-operative Federation of Western Australia 1919 - 2019 | Book | 2019 |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | Transport\Communications | Comms: Post or Telegraph Office |
Present Use | COMMERCIAL | Shop\Retail Store {single} |
Original Use | COMMERCIAL | Shop\Retail Store {single} |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Wall | RENDER | Cement Dressed |
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
General | Specific |
---|---|
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS | Mail services |
OCCUPATIONS | Commercial & service industries |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.