Local Government
Kojonup
Region
Great Southern
Albany Hwy Kojonup
The Women's Club
Kojonup
Great Southern
Constructed from 1909, Constructed from 1965
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 22 Sep 1997 | ||
Municipal Inventory | Completed\Draft | 03 Oct 2015 | Considerable |
This building has aesthetic, historical and social significance. it was the first purpose built office for the Kojonup Road Board in 1909. Over the years the building has been used for a number of different commercial and community purposes, for example as a bank, tearooms and a shop. It has been the venue of the Women's Club since May 1954.
The original Roads Board building was red face brick with a verandah which was removed on 1965. The facade of the building has been rendered. The facade has an ornate parapet wall, with a gabled pediment and spherical finials. The entrance to the building is through a courtyard and side door, The timber framed window is adorned with wrought iron. Fibro extenstions have been added to the rear of the building.
Meetings of the Roads Board were originally held in the Agricultural Hall. In 1907, the Secretary wrote to the Lands Department requesting one of the blocks be granted to the RB from the subdivided police paddock. While waiting, meetings were then shifted to Secretary A J Magrath's office in the main street. The Road Board built on town block 122 for a cost of 254pds. The architect was Austin M. Bastow (who worked in partnership with Harold Boas). The new RBO was opened on 11 December 1909 by Arnold Piesse. In 1910 a picket fence was erected. c1915, a tool shed was erected at the rear and a front verandah. The Road Board occupied the building until 1929 after which it became the Agricultural Bank, then Thring's Haberdashery Shop and in 1954 the Women's Club.
Integrity - Medium Authenticity - Medium External walls are the only part of the original structure which remains. Modifications: Shop entrance bricked up, brick wall on High St.
Good
Name | Type | Year From | Year To |
---|---|---|---|
Austin Bastow | Architect | 1909 | - |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.