Local Government
Irwin
Region
Midwest
38 Moreton Tce Dongara
Corner of Point Leander Drive
Toko's Restaurant, The Elite Supply
Irwin
Midwest
Constructed from 1906
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | |
---|---|---|---|---|
Category | ||||
Classified by the National Trust | Classified | 05 Sep 1983 | ||
Register of the National Estate | Nominated | 02 Nov 1983 | ||
Register of the National Estate | Indicative Place | |||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 10 Mar 1998 | Category 2 |
18626 Dongara Townsite
The building has significance for its large size, form and prominent position being located on the corner of the main street and the road to the port. The building makes an important entry statement to the centre of the town. The building also has high historic significance for its connection to S.F. Moore, prominent merchant and grazier.
Situated on a prominent corner location this 'L' shaped limestone rubble building fronts directly on to the street with a red colorbond bullnose verandah covering the footpath. The hipped roof is also red colorbond and there is a rendered decorative corner parapet with a swan design. The separate verandah is supported on metal poles, with scalloped timber infill to the verandah ends. The corner entrance is recessed with large shop display windows to each side and coloured glass above. The building is painted cream with painted rendered quoining to the corners and windows to the north side. Some of the original turned timber posts have been replaced with metal poles, there is a new main single entry door.
Built for merchant Samuel Fortesque Moore, it was operated as a shop and storehouse by him. The building was believed to have been built by Ned Carter. Other noted owners were Iris and Bruce Williams who ran 'The Elite Supply', (he also operated the garage) and the Brennand family who operated a shop and tearooms from about 1937 to the late 1950s. In the 1970s the National Bank operated an agency from the building which was also used as quarters. Tim Bailey sold the building to Brian and Mary Hart who started "Toko's" restaurant in about 1983. In 1995 it was reroofed with repairs to the verandah, as well as being repainted. Since 1997 the business ownership has changed several times, however the name 'Tokos' has been retained for the restaurant. (Source: IDHS Records.) 2004 The building continues to operate as a restaurant and has been maintained by the owners.
Integrity: High
Good
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
IDHS Records | Shire of Irwin | ||
AHC Reference 009648 01-02 | Australian Heritage Commission | ||
HCWA Database No. 1238 | State Office of Heritage |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Present Use | COMMERCIAL | Restaurant |
Other Use | COMMERCIAL | Shop\Retail Store {single} |
Original Use | COMMERCIAL | Warehouse |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Wall | STONE | Limestone |
Roof | METAL | Steel |
General | Specific |
---|---|
OCCUPATIONS | Commercial & service industries |
PEOPLE | Famous & infamous people |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.