Local Government
Irwin
Region
Midwest
50 Waldeck St Dongara
Old Mill Caravan Park
The Bungalow
Irwin
Midwest
Constructed from 1890
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
RHP - To be assessed | Current | 27 Jun 2003 |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Register of the National Estate | Nominated | 02 Nov 1983 |
|
Heritage Council | |
Classified by the National Trust | Classified | 05 Sep 1983 |
|
Heritage Council | |
Register of the National Estate | Indicative Place |
|
Heritage Council | ||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 10 Mar 1998 | Category 1 B |
Category 1 B |
The Bungalow has historic significance for its connection to the Dongara Flour Mill and the Pearse family. Further the place has high aesthetic significance and is situated on the main northern entry to town and given this makes a high contribution to the character of the town.
This large house built of white painted ashlar rendered limestone has two steeply pitched hipped corrugated iron roofs joined by a box gutter. Punctuating the rear roof are two tall hexagonal rendered masonry corbelled chimneys. A separate steeply pitched hipped verandah roof surrounds the house. The verandah roof is supported on concrete posts with a concrete verandah floor. The windows are timber framed, double hung 12 pane, the front facade having a central timber entry door with two windows to each side. The house has been extended to the north east.
The original rear section of the building was built by William Criddle. In c.1890 Francis Pearse purchased the property and the front rooms were added. In 1894 it was the home of Alexander Forrest, who was the first miller at Pearse's nearby Royal Steam Roller Flour Mill (Place No. 12). In c.1899, the Nairn sisters used the front two rooms as a private girls school. In August 1901, the Dominican Sisters used the house for about six months before moving to 'Six Chimneys' (Place No.106). In 1902, it became the home of Isabella Waldeck and her daughters who had retired from 'Bonniefield' (Place No.8). From 1905 until 1927 William and Frances Mitchell lived here until he purchased 'The Grange' (Place No.115). The property was purchased in 1927 by Joseph Clarkson.
(Source: IDHS Records)
2004
A low picket fence has been erected along the Waldeck Street boundary of the house.
Integrity: High
Good
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
R Bunney & K Ellery; "Dongara 1839-187-". | |||
IDHS Records | |||
HCWA Database No. 1231 |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | RESIDENTIAL | Single storey residence |
Present Use | RESIDENTIAL | Single storey residence |
Style |
---|
Victorian Georgian |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
Wall | STONE | Limestone |
General | Specific |
---|---|
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY | Land allocation & subdivision |
PEOPLE | Famous & infamous people |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.