inHerit Logo

Yabberup Hall

Author

Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup

Place Number

00736
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Donnybrook/Boyup Rd Yabberup

Location Details

Lot 6

Other Name(s)

Upper Preston Agricultural Hall

Local Government

Donnybrook-Balingup

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1894 to 1896

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 04 Feb 1980

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Nov 2013 Category 1

Category 1

Highest level of protection appropriate: recommend for entry in the State Register; Council will provide maximum encouragement to the owner to conserve the significance of the place.

Statement of Significance

Yabberup Hall is a rare hall of red Flemish bond brickwork with contrasting blue and dark red half bricks . It was constructed with local volunteer labour and has been the focus of social activities in the area since its completion in 1896.

Physical Description

Yabberup Hall is a medium sized hall constructed of Flemish bond brickwork with a moderate to steeply pitched gable roof of corrugated iron. A skillion addition at the rear (west) side is constructed of matching brickwork. A verandah runs along the south (front) wall which buts into the skillion and a tall chimney protrudes from the centre of the same wall. The bricks are red with a blue or dark red brick providing a contrast in the half bricks of the bond work.

History

A meeting of the Upper Preston Progress Association at ‘Diverbrook’, the home of John Charles, discussed a proposal to erect a hall in the area and decided to erect a brick hall with an iron roof at an estimated cost of £60, with the assistance of a government grant of £30. In 1894, John Charles, and his brothers William and Jim, who had built ‘Diverbrook’ and also made the bricks and built houses at ‘Sunnyvale’ and Woodland) began work on the hall, a single room, 6m. x 4.5 m., and completed it in 1896. Clay for the bricks was dug at ‘Diverbrook’, and the bricks were laid in Flemish bond. In August 1896, the official opening of Preston Agricultural Hall as it was then known was celebrated by a dinner, the chief guest being Mr. Venn, and the dance in the evening was largely attended. It pre-dated Donnybrook Agricultural Hall of timber and iron construction, which Premier Sir John Forrest, opened in September. Preston Agricultural Hall, latterly known as Yabberup Hall, which was considered ‘a very substantial building’ (Western Mail 14 August 1896, p. 30), provided an important community facility, a meeting place and social venue for local people, and Church services for most denominations have been held in the hall. An Honour Roll in the hall commemorates soldiers from the district who died in World War I. In c. 1920, at the rear of the hall a supper room constructed in matching brickwork was added and, in November 1920, a grand opening night celebrated completion of the addition. In 1973-74, a lean-to kitchen was added to the hall and free standing toilet facilities were built. In c. 1988, two tennis courts were constructed in the grounds at the rear. The hall has continued in use for social activities including farewells for residents leaving the district and 21st birthday parties, for sporting activities, including badminton, and as a play-group centre. The annual Christmas Tree celebration at Yabberup Hall is the only one in the Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup that has been held continuously from the late 1890s-early 1900s. In the early 2000s, a metal framed gazebo has been erected, and the hall continues in use for a variety of social activities.

Integrity/Authenticity

High. Modifications include a new Kitchen and Toilet block constructed in 1973/74

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
Charles Brothers Architect - -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Frost, A. C. Green Gold: A History of Donnybrook W. A. 1842 to 1974 Donnybrook Balingup Shire Council, 1976 pp. 72-73
Heritage Council Building Report
Western Mail 14 August 1896

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
69 Municipal Inventory

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
12060 Donnybrook Halls - conservation management plan Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2018

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Handmade Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities

Creation Date

30 Aug 1988

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.