Local Government
West Arthur
Region
Wheatbelt
Darkan-Quindanning Rd Darkan
Location 3518
West Arthur
Wheatbelt
Constructed from 1905
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 27 Mar 1997 | Category 2 |
Category 2 |
The building is a good example of one of the building styles and use of local materials by pioneer selectors of that period. Restoration work and being open to the public as tourist attraction enhances it’s significance.
Dick Strange was a pioneer selector of the area near the junction of the Hillman and Arthur River, as was Joe Symonds. (2) Further research is needed to link this and the cottage and later occupants.
Situated 10 kms north west of Darkan on the Quindanning Road. The cottage consists of two rooms. The interior has white washed hessian lining.
The cottage was built in the early 1900’s by Dick Strange, brother-in-law of Joe Symonds. He was a sleeper- cutter- to supplement his farm income. Bert Bingham came to work for Joe Symonds, and each weekend, Mrs Bingham and her family of four used to drive over in a spring cart and horse from Boddington, and stay with him. All their school holidays were spent in this place.
A Darkan resident recently recalled:
When Bill and Vi Kirk were here, (1950’s), we used to come out Sundays and spend with them. The cottage was very, very nice- like a little doll’s house- all muslin curtains hanging here and there, and the furniture was all homemade. They used to have a pine safe to keep food in- just a small table and four chairs, and an iron bed. They had a built-in corner for a wardrobe. For lighting, all they had were hurricane lamps- and kerosene table lamps- these had an iron stand and a little floral bowl.
Inside the cottage it was all painted white and looked so nice. They had shelves up, and a kind of a mantle piece. The fireplace was white washed over, and the walls of timber slab were all cut with the broad axe- you can still see the marks. The stove was there in Kirk’s time. In the very old times there was only an open fire place, and they used camp ovens to cook in.
The floor was of earth originally, as I remember, and the wooden floor would have been put down after Mr Coli (about 1925-30) started the mill. When it was first built, the windows had wooden shutters, which fastened in the centre and had to be propped out.
There was a 100 gallon tank for drinking water, and they would cart water from a dam for washing. The wash basins were on benches out the back. The dam outside the cottage was probably put down by Bert Gibbs (in the 1930’s) with a team of horses. Anyone who came to the cottage added a lean-to of hessian, or bought tents to stay in.
Modifications: Few (wooden floor)
Extent of original fabric: Most
Poor – chimney has major cracks due to slab movement. Termites are in the slab.
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
“Slab and Stone Cottage- Memories of Mrs Dorrie Gibbs". | Shire of West Arthur brochure | ||
J Bird; "West of Arthur". (See under Strange and Symonds) |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | FARMING\PASTORAL | Cottage |
Present Use | VACANT\UNUSED | Vacant\Unused |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Wall | OTHER | Other Material |
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
Wall | TIMBER | Other Timber |
General | Specific |
---|---|
OCCUPATIONS | Rural industry & market gardening |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.