Local Government
West Arthur
Region
Wheatbelt
35 Burrowes St Darkan
Lot 34
West Arthur
Wheatbelt
Constructed from 1933
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 27 Mar 1997 | Category 3 |
Category 3 |
Notable as the site of the first garage/mechanical repairs in Darkan and its association with transition from horse drawn vehicles to the motor age. It is also significant that the original building used local timber and was constructed by pioneers.
Situated on the south side of Burrowes St. almost opposite the Stationmaster’s House. The only remaining section of the original structure is a small room fronting the street. The rest of the building was purchased and removed by Don Telfer.
Originally constructed in the period 1933-35 by Tom and Fred Curnow using timber cut on the family’s ‘The Angle’ property at Boolading. Later owners have made extensive alterations and modifications since that time. After the Second War the business was sold to Dorsett’s Motor Agency- Fred Curnow managed it for a time, then CL Elias and Pat Chapman. The next owner was George Elias then Alf Galloway and the present owners- the Putland family since 1963. (1)
At the rear of the garage is the old lighting plant shed- timber framed weather clad with iron gable roof. There is one opening, a double door made of wooden planks.
The original builders and proprietors Fred and Tom Curnow were two of 12 children of Jim and Sophia (nee Gibbs). Each of the seven sons displayed a strong degree of technical ability- a trait inherited from their father who made a valuable contribution to the district for many years as a wheelwright/blacksmith. Jim Curnow had learned this trade as a young man on the Goldfields after leaving the family farm in Victoria and teamed up with his brother-in-law Jim Wunnenberg to set up a blacksmith business in Kookyine.
In 1937 the Curnow brothers introduced the first 32 volt lighting plant to the district. Fred served in the Air Force during the Second World War and it was left to the younger boys to carry out most of the district’s mechanical and electrical repairs.
Tom went to Quindanning and served a term as President of the Boddington Shire Council. He later retired to Bunbury and served on the bench of the Children’s Court.
In later years Fred continued with his inventions and had success with a grain dryer and seed cleaner inventions.
Other owners have included Norm Dorsett, Geoff Elias and Alf Galloway. The current owners purchased the garage from Alf in 1963.
Modifications: Many
Extent of original fabric: Part (small room fronting Burrowes St)
Good – some cladding needs replacing
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
J Bird; "West of Arthur". pp155-156, 378 |
Individual Building or Group
Epoch | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Original Use | Transport\Communications | Road: Other |
Present Use | Transport\Communications | Road: Other |
Type | General | Specific |
---|---|---|
Wall | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
Roof | METAL | Corrugated Iron |
General | Specific |
---|---|
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS | Road transport |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.